Having trouble with your zoas?

flricordia

Just a small tip if you are having trouble with your zoas, really any corals, and you happen to keep your salinity on the low side for the benifit of your fish. Many of us keep our salinity on the low side becasue parasites have difficulty hosting our fish, but what about our corals health?
If you are having trouble with zoas and they are looking deflated, bland, not growing, etc and you have done all you can think and taken advice from others till you are at your end and you know beyond a doubt that there are no irritants bothering them and still no possitive results shown, try getting your salinity up to NSW levels.
35ppt is about where you need to be. Got a PE that refuses to open? Get that salinity up. It will take time and you should take time, over a week to 2 weeks time if you have kept it on the low side, for the zoas to rebound.
And by all means, don't believe everything you hear, especially about the use of iodine. Many say, NO, NO, NO...but look at the tanks of those that are growing the most awesome zoanthids, they are using iodine supplementation (and taking care not to overdose as per directions).
Just my thoughts and wanted to share it. Take it or leave it. Mike.

kevin34

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2844017
Just a small tip if you are having trouble with your zoas, really any corals, and you happen to keep your salinity on the low side for the benifit of your fish. Many of us keep our salinity on the low side becasue parasites have difficulty hosting our fish, but what about our corals health?
If you are having trouble with zoas and they are looking deflated, bland, not growing, etc and you have done all you can think and taken advice from others till you are at your end and you know beyond a doubt that there are no irritants bothering them and still no possitive results shown, try getting your salinity up to NSW levels.
35ppt is about where you need to be. Got a PE that refuses to open? Get that salinity up. It will take time and you should take time, over a week to 2 weeks time if you have kept it on the low side, for the zoas to rebound.
And by all means, don't believe everything you hear, especially about the use of iodine. Many say, NO, NO, NO...but look at the tanks of those that are growing the most awesome zoanthids, they are using iodine supplementation (and taking care not to overdose as per directions).
what does 35ppt translate into sg? Mine is at 1.025. that a good spot?

nw2salt08

Thanks for the info....definitely listen to you when you share info...you have awesome zoas and they always look great.

debbie

Mike, would the addition of iodine benefit rics too or just zoas??
Now, my little pico is 2.8 gal as you know. How much and how often would you add iodine to this tank so I don't over do it??
Debbie ....

flricordia

Originally Posted by Debbie
http:///forum/post/2844493
Mike, would the addition of iodine benefit rics too or just zoas??
Now, my little pico is 2.8 gal as you know. How much and how often would you add iodine to this tank so I don't over do it??
Debbie ....

I started using Kent's Iodine back in 92 when I started my first nano, a 20 long. I have used it since. I have kept about every coral, zoa and corallimorpharian available and it they have always done great. Whether that is attributed to the use of iodine, I cannot say 100%, but the times I have gone off of it to determin if it is needed or not, my livestock has taken a downward turn.
This is just what I have observed in my own reefs. It is, I am sure, quite possible to run a reef with no iodine addition, just water changes, but it boils down to the livestock either thriving or just surviving. Each person must make that determination on their own.
Oh, and to answer your question about rics and iodine, personally, I would never NOT use iodine for my rics. You will see an improvement with its use on ricordea.
But let me state once again, I have only used Kent's Iodine. It has always preformed well for me so I never saw the need to try any other brands and cannot make any comments on them.

bn251

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2844017
thats a really good tip, some of my zoas havent opened yet... ima try that maybe bring it up to .028

debbie

Mike,
Which Kents do you use:
Kent Marine Tech-1 Iodine supplement additive
Kent Marine super iodine additive
Also, would you add this to my little 2.8 gal and if so how much??
I have always been told to never dose anything you cannot do readings for, what is your opinion on this??

en_pissant

Really interesting discussion. I have some Zoas that were actually hitchikers, and had always done pretty well, and propogated at times. Lately they have been closed, and just don't seem happy. I've had varied success with other hard and soft corals. I've never been as concerned about salinity, as I have been about some of the other variables, perhaps that's my problem.
In general, my corals have just done "okay" and have never really flourished. I think my salinity is low right now, so I'll look at slowly increasing it.
I do a water change every two weeks, and dose with Kent Iodide, and Kent Essential Elements per the instructions.
Any other suggestions would be more than welcome. I'd really like to get my corals looking better. I've measured just about everything else and nasuseum, and have run out of ideas.