Hawaiian blue spotted puffers

zeromus-x

Do they all have such weird sleeping areas? Mine sleeps in the corner of the tank. Literally. In the corner, laying vertically against the glass, about halfway up. I can't get a good picture but it just seems really weird to me.

jsb

My spotted puffer did the same thing. Has he showed you his teeth yet? Mine was really cool, but I had to trade him because he was nipping at my other fish.

j trigger

I have a blue spotted puffer and he sleeps vertically on my LR. Its almost as if he changes color to blend in with the rock, its wierd.
And I dont think puffers have "teeth". Dont they have a sort of beak?

jsb

Originally posted by j trigger
I have a blue spotted puffer and he sleeps vertically on my LR. Its almost as if he changes color to blend in with the rock, its wierd.
And I dont think puffers have "teeth". Dont they have a sort of beak?

I guess your right, it did look more like a beak.

mbrands

Do any of you have aggression issues with your hawaiian blue puffers, either towards other fish and/or inverts? I've been thinking about adding one, but not if they don't play nice.
Thanks!

j trigger

I have had no problems with the puffer so far, but he is still young. He has not bothered any of my inverts that I am aware of. And he is the only fish in my tank. I have heard as they get older, they get more aggressive. He is an awesome fish.

darknes

My spotted puffer sleeps in the same spot every night...in the corner next to an empty snail shell.
He's not aggressive at all, although once I added it, my snails and hermit crabs started to hide during the day and only come out at night. Otherwise, it's a great fish; lots of personality.

jsb

The only reason I traded mine was because he nipped at my other fish. My inverts would come out but when the puffer would swim by they'd drop. I've heard they are a toss up. Some will nip and others won't. When I bought mine he was about as big as he was going to get. So maybe not having him grow up in my tank was a factor, I don't know.

drinmtl

I just added my puffer on Thursday. I beleive that he has already eaten my bristle star since I can find no trace of the star in the last few days. I was told that puffers will eat inverts so I am not surprised, just didn't expect it the first night. Other then that, he is a great fish so far and lots of fun to watch. So far no issues with my clown fish, his only room mate for the time being.