hawk fish vs shrimp

teog

anyone keep shrimps with flame hawks? from what I read shrimp seem to be some nice dinner for flame hawks.

hawkfish(longnose) will strike at hermits,i used to have one until he killed to.i dont think they eat bigger shrimps like peppermints and cleaners

I have a flame hawk and I have no problems at all.
I have a CBS and a cleaner shrimp. I have never seen my hawk fish having problems with shrimps.

ak_reefer

I have a Falcos Hawkfish with a Cleaner and CBS with no problems yet. But there are always exceptions to the rule.

chrisrench

I had a spotted hawkfish and he would attack any shrimp I put in the tank, he would also attack any crabs placed in there as well, unless it was a really BIG crab. I think they (spotted hawkfish) are iffy at best. Some might attack shrimp others won't. I guess you will have to spend 20 bucks to find out.

chinnyr

I just added a spotted hawk to my tank this week.He is kinda fitting in nicely.I was hoping he would eat the camel shrimp I cannot catch.Well...not the case.The only thing I don't like about him is he darts around alot at feeding time,unlike the more docile fish in the tank.And,he seems to like to perch on all the corals instead of the rocks.I really don't think there is any way to get him out now.So,for the time being I'm going to let him be and see if he aclimates to the surroundings.

demosthenes

I agree, hawkfish are predators of shrimp. It's like cat and mouse. It's instinct, and unless you have an odd fish, they will wipe out your shrimp population in no time. HTH