hawk with popeye

guineawhop

i've got a question regarding pimafix. my smallest tank is a 55 and the only tank i always have problems with. i have a lyretail hawk that came down with popeye. i know you're not suppose to treat a main tank with meds, but my qt tank is being used right now because i just bought a maroon clown to pair off my other maroon that is showing signs of nesting(i don't want them to have babies, just so she might get it out of her system because she digs in one corner and all my sand is piled up and hoping she'll stop if she lays a batch). anyways i have 2 damsels, 1 cherub angel, and a hawk for fish in that tank, the hawk being theone with popeye. i have a purple lobster, hermits all over, and an emerald crab for inverts. i was wondering if pimafix would take care of the popeye especially since it is invert friendly or if there is another med that i could use that would be more effective without hurting my inverts. i also do not understand how he got it since the water quality is perfect 8.3 ph, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites are all 0. temp is at 79, i feed a wide variety diet including mysid, brine w/ spirulia, and formula 2 ocean nutrition. the tank is not overcrowded, plenty of hiding spaces. the hawk has an awesome personality and is not afraid of anything including myself.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are your water readings? Try doing a water change with aged fully mixed water. [How do you age your water?]
Target feed the sick fish with the best food you can get and soak it in fresh minced garlic and zoecon alternativing.
Why do you think this fish developed popeye? Can you post a picture?

angelsrock

my readings are as follows ph 8.3, nitrates 0, nitrites0, ammonia 0, salinity 1.020, temp79. usually a week before i do a water change i fill 2 5 gallon buckets up with water and mix the salt. then i put a powerhead in there and airate it. i have been soaking the food that goes into the 55 with garlic extract for 2-3 weeks now and this was before the popeye occured, because one of my fish stopped eating. i have no idea why this guy got the popeye but if i had to guess the only thing i can think of is when i moved a couple weeks ago and all the tanks as well i took out all the decor including some fake plants. well i just put in the fake plants back in like a week ago. i thought i washed them off good before i put them back in too. i can try and post a pic later. hopefully my crappy camera can take it in focus. thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, my next question was going to be if the fish had been netted, and you just answered it. Nets are a common cause of infection to fish, which is a good reason why if you are going to use one, then you must disinfect it for each fish. Also treat the net with a slime coat. That said, it is better to try and capture fish without the use of nets when at all possible. Popeye is a common ailment resulting from netting either due to eye injury or bacterial infection from a dirty net.
Garlic in a bottle is a waste of time. Alway use freshly minced garlic. Your only other alternative is QT and then treat with Maracyn Two for SW fish.