Hay all you sandsifting star owners..

fishfreek

I am thinking of getting a sandsifting star in my tank. I have a 2"-2-1/2" deep sand bed that has some algae growing on it and thought one of these guys might help. Is this star good at turning up sand? Has anyone had a problem with their star digging under rock work and causing problems?
Thanks,

aquaman2

ive never kept one of those but from what i understand is that your tank should be well established or they wont have much food.

johnnysalt

From what I've heard about them, it seems like they should be named "cool to look at....as it depletes your sandbed of fauna" :cool:

fishfreek

Is having an abundent amount of fauna even a factor in a 2" deep sand bed? I thought it was only important in established deep sand beds say, 4-6" deep. Am i wrong?

kimmisue

Originally posted by fishfreek:
<STRONG>Is having an abundent amount of fauna even a factor in a 2" deep sand bed? I thought it was only important in established deep sand beds say, 4-6" deep. Am i wrong?</STRONG>
I have one in my tank and wouldn't trade him.
I does take care of algae on the sand and cleans his way back and fourth across my tank. You won't be disapointed if you get one.
Kim :D

twoobem

I have one in my tank and he does a great job at cleaning the sand and the bottom of the rocks. He is fun to watch digging in in out of the sand.

seaweed

I've had one now for about a month and a half and he's doing great. I have about 3 1/2 to 4 inches of live sand. I've got to say that they seem to be one of the hardier speces of stars. My atlantic brittle hides in the live rocks all day, but my sand surfaces and submerges throughout the day and occasionally will climb the glass.

@knight

if you get one of those, you are wasting the money you spent on the DSB. might be ok for a shallow sand bed, but it feeds off of all the good stuff in the sand. I dont recommend them, regardless of how cool they look.