Healthy foods for large angel?

fishrn

Hi All,
I have not been on here for awhile, but trust me I have been learning from all of you. My question revolves around my 6 inch Scribbled angel. He or she looks skinny to me. the stomach area is sunk in and it worries me because I do not want the fish to die of malnutrition.The fish eats but is very picky. My fish eats spirulina brine shrimp, mysis, an occasional tiny piece of krill. I put vitamins and garlic in the frozen food. I also feed formula 1 pellets and it will pick at those. It will not eat algae sheets or anything else meaty. What can I do to give my fish more nutrition and keep it healthy????

roberteb

I use New Life Spectrum pellets. I've heard great things about this pellet and have been feeding this to all my fish for a while. My emperor angel goes crazy for it and is extremely fat and healthy.

jelmer

My emperor angel would only eat mysis and formula one frozen until I started offering new life spectrum pellets (large). Unbelievable, after a month my emperor is nice and fat and noticably changing from juvi to adult. Good luck!

browniebuck

I made my own food, my flagfin LOVES it. He eats it from the turkey baster that I use to get the food into the tank....you can see and feel him hit the tube of it.
I used about a pound of shrimp, a cod loin or two, about a half pound of mussels, a half pound of oysters (I got them already shucked in the can...read the ingredients to make sure that there is nothing else in with them), about a half pound of scallop, half a package of green algae, half a package of purple algae, and a few squirts of Garlic Xtreme....put it into a food processor and chop away....this made three quart sized bags of food, put it into the bag, flatten it out (leave room at the top so you can zip shut....you may want to use 4 bags instead of three), and freeze....all of my fish LOVE it (tangs, angels, firefish, butterfly, clown, anthias). If you have coral, you could also add coral foods to the mix (there is a video on youtube on how to make it.....type in "DIY fish food", it was made my Limpitsreef).

fishrn

thank you all for your help. I am going to try all of your suggestions. I bought some New Life Spectrum pellets and a bunch of fresh sea food. I blended the sea food and added garlic and vitamins. I am going to give it a whirl. I will keep you all posted. Thanks again.

crypt keeper

did you just get him? I would worry about an internal parasite if you did. Angels at 6 inches should be very fat and eating machines. I know scribbles can be a little harder than most.
Start feeding 3 to 4 times a day of the stuff he is eating. Not just once. Only soak it in the same vitamin once a day. Not the same every single time. If he doesnt start to gain weight then I would dose with prazipro. He may have a parasite. Prazi will knock it right out.

browniebuck

My fish LOVE the fresh, home-made stuff...I highly doubt that you will be disappointed. Out of curiosity, did you include mussels in your food (if so, how big of a pain were they to get opened for the tiny amount of meat you got out of them?).
My large angel also goes NUTS for algae sheets (when I started I soaked them in garlic, but don't need to anymore), he has started eating them while I am still in the process of putting the clip on the glass....he doesn't seem fazed by my hand being in HIS tank.
I am due to make another batch of food next weekend...how sick is it that I am excited to do this???

fishrn

Thanks Crypt Keeper, I am worried about my angel. He is awesome. He used to be an eating machine, but now he picks at his food. Don't get me wrong, he eats , just not like he used to. Would a parasite make a fish do this???? I did get new food like I was advised. I will also start feeding more often and see if that works. Any other advise from anyone with angel experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Browniebuck I did not include mussels in my homeade food. should I???