Heat Wave

laddy

I'm six months into my first salt water (10g) with only one casualty, green chromie. I currently have two damsels in the tank and am content to take things slow for the time being. My question is this: currently here in No Cal. we are going through a heat wave, not too bad, happens maybe once a year. This w/e I was in the LFS buying my gallon of water like I do every week, and the guy told me to watch my Ph level with the temps rising so high. He said the Ph has a tendency to drop in high temps. Is this true?

overanalyzer

Originally posted by Laddy
I'm six months into my first salt water (10g) with only one casualty, green chromie. I currently have two damsels in the tank and am content to take things slow for the time being. My question is this: currently here in No Cal. we are going through a heat wave, not too bad, happens maybe once a year. This w/e I was in the LFS buying my gallon of water like I do every week, and the guy told me to watch my Ph level with the temps rising so high. He said the Ph has a tendency to drop in high temps. Is this true?

Yes - but you should be striving to have a fairly stable tank temperature.
Also in a smaller tank any change in water chemistry is magnified ....
What do you have in your tank other than the two damsels??

laddy

My setup is an aquaclear 150, 50w heater, and a small power head (forget the brand). Also, 6 blue legged hermit crabs. No life rock since I have inadequate light. Substrate is crushed coral. My amonia, nitrite levels are 0; my nitrate level is 12.5--I can guess do to my lack of LS and LR. Ph 8.0-8.2 depending on water changes. What do you think? Any help would be greatly appreciated....
thanks

crazy4reefs

i dont know if this is any help or not but if you put a small fan so it will blow across the top of the tank it will help bring the temps down some. i use it on my tank and it works well. hth

overanalyzer

You don't need to have any specific light for live rock ... you can buy some and add it in ....
You might look @ a HOB filter to add some more water exchange and water movement .... plus this wil lhelp with evaporation and cooling of your water.
What are your temp swings?? Your PH is in the normal range and if your temp swings a degree or so a day then you are fine ....
Good job on takign it slow - but with your set-up I would look @ adding a piece or two of live rock (well cured) just be very picky as in a 10 gallon there is not a lot of room ....

laddy

Thanks for the information. I did not know that LR did not require intense lighting--I'm learning a lot on this board, but lighting requirements, and lighting in general is a puzzle to me. I'll go down this weekend and pick out a nice piece. What would you say, 3-4 lbs or so?

overanalyzer

Thanks for the information. I did not know that LR did not require intense lighting--I'm learning a lot on this board, but lighting requirements, and lighting in general is a puzzle to me. I'll go down this weekend and pick out a nice piece. What would you say, 3-4 lbs or so?

What are your goals for the tank?? Fish only?? Reef??
I'd say one small one about the size of a double fist (at the largest) to get you started ....

laddy

Thanks for asking. I would love to have a nano-reef one day, but at the moment I would be content to have a fish only (with some live rock after talking with you) along with stability. I hate to see creatures die in my care. I really can't wait to get rid of the two damsels and get something(s) which are more passive. I'm striving for a relaxing enviornment--haha! I just found the beginner section on the board so I'll start going there. I appreciate the advice.....I'm going to the LFS for a piece of live rock tonight. Thanks

overanalyzer

so how did live rock hunting go?? I would suggest getting the damsels out and looking @ some gobies. Clown gobies, shrimp gobies..... and feel free to ask any questions here in the nano too as there are some differences between a 10 gallon tank and a 55 gallon tank.
Also - there are some really cheap ways to put PC lighting over a 10 gallon tank.
as in the tortoise and the hare - slow and steady wins the race!!
so :happy: rock on!

laddy

Live rock hunting went well, and managed to find a piece to add to the bottom of my tank ($6.50/lbs). It adds more depth for some reason. I did not find any gobys, and the damsels are still in the tank--doing well. I'll have some free time later this week to research lighting as well. I'd like to get something to replace the standard hood.

overanalyzer

Live rock hunting went well, and managed to find a piece to add to the bottom of my tank ($6.50/lbs). It adds more depth for some reason. I did not find any gobys, and the damsels are still in the tank--doing well. I'll have some free time later this week to research lighting as well. I'd like to get something to replace the standard hood.

Sounds good - it may take a while but the patient approach will pay off!!