heat

perculaman

I don't have air condition in my apt and I dont have a chiller on my tank, will the heat affect my fish. My tank temp is currently over 88 degrees because of the recent wave of heat on the eash coast.

drewster

i have been going through the same problems. My tank has never reached 88 degrees though. Mine went as high as 84 i think. I only have 2 clownfish and some live coral and they all made the transition pretty well. There's not much you can do except buy some fans and circulate air. good luck

kelleheb

I'm having the same problem. My tank got really hot, about 88. I lost a yellow tang & a dwarf lion (I think I lost a cammel shrimp too). If someone has any ideas about how I can cool my tank off, I'd really appreciate it. Does anyone know where the best place to buy a chiller is? I have a 90 gallon glass tank. Would turning off some of the equipment help? At this rate, I'm gong to have a pet rock tank by June.

otto13

i had a problem with heat a while back. i lost some fish. i dont know if it was related. during periods of intense heat i keep the light off for sure, that will heat up a tank quick. i am not sure if a fan will help at all. if anyone has a cooler, i would like an idea on the cost of those things.
otto
[This message has been edited by otto13 (edited 05-09-2000).]

kris

A window air conditioner would be cheaper than a chiller and serve both of you well.
88 is too high. How big is your tank?? You may have to do small daily water changes with cooler water to keep it under 84. (which in my opinion is max.)

the dude

ive had this problem with heat waves. i would float a bag with cold water and just keep an eye on the temp.

gladiator

I put a zip lock bag of ice in the tank. I didn,t notice a change of temp. but didn't loose any fish. My thermometer only goes to 84 where it stayed for those few days.

kb

My tank was around 84 degrees and I opened the top to my trickle filter and to my tank and that brought the temperature down. I also turn off 2 of the 4 lights and that helped too. I've heard an airstone would help.