Heater Advise please

angelgirl

I just upgraded to 100 gallon and my old heater can't cut the mustard, am looking for advise on size and favorite brands
thanks
Angelgirl :happyfish

rstiles

I use a ETH in line heater 300 watt on my 90 gallon , living in Ct with some really cold days/nights It kept the temp with no problems,I like the fact it installs on the return line of my canister filter - one less thing hanging in tank. If you don't go that way I would go with a pair of 250 watt stealth heaters by visi - therm (shatterproof) or a titanium heater stay away from glass as thay might shatter.

scsinet

The Won titaniums are what I use, and they work great. The nice thing about a titanium heater is that the tube is grounded so you get a grounding probe as a bonus.
On a 100 gallon tank, 350 watts would probably be best. I'd use two 250 watt heaters to do the job. This way if one sticks on, the thermal runaway will be slower so you can catch it in time, and if one fails, the other can still keep the tank warm. Set one thermostat a couple degrees behind the other and it gives you a nice two stage heating effect.