Heater Explosion (long post)

kenwhite

Last night as I'm sitting down eating dinner, my heater (VisiTherm, 100W) blew up in my 55 gallon tank. Out of the corner of my eye, we saw some very bright flashing prior to the explosion, but just thought it was the TV reflecting off the tank. I thought it was the fluorescent tube (it sounded like a lightbulb exploding), but the shattered glass inside my tank made it real obvious as to what happened.
Fortunately, there was no electrical fire and thank goodness I was home to deal with it. I'm concerned that my GFI wall outlet didn't turn off the power to the whole tank. Do these heaters automatically shut down when they fail?? I'm very concerned about someone being electrocuted, if not.
When I removed the shattered heater, a black substance came out of the tube. I immediately siphoned out the black cloud (about 10 gallons) and replaced it with newly mixed salt water. As bad luck would have it, I just did a water change the day before and had barely enough salt left over to make 10 gallons. Fortunately, I had a backup heater (from an old 15 gallon freshwater setup) that I am using to maintain temperature until I can replace the VisiTherm.
I immediately lost a damsel (I had the poor bugger for two years, it was my very first fish). The other livestock inhabitants(purple tang, clownfish, cleaner shrimp and crab) were freaked out last night, but seemed to be OK this morning. My mushroom rocks deflated very rapidly after the explosion (almost like a wilting flower) - I hope I don't lose them - time will tell.
My questions are:
1. Are heater failures/explosions common? It was two years old and seemed to be working fine.
2. Should I continue doing water changes to remove any remaining "black" substance? The water doesn't smell like an electrical fire any more and I don't see any evidence of a film/cloud.
3. Any other advice?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

blutang

That black stuff may be mercury....I really hope it isn't, however I would advise testing your water everyday until you get it back to normal.

kenwhite

The first thing I did (after was to run GFI self test. It worked. I don't know of any other tool to simulate a ground fault - a visit to Home Depot may be in order.
I'm hoping that the heater shuts down immediately when it fails. But, I'm going to call the manufacturer and get the scoop on the black stuff and it's failure protection.

ogitrev

I know there is a device out there that you stick into the outlet and it is supposed to simulate a ground fault. It's very small. I saw my home inspector use one when he inspected my house before I bought it. I'm not exactly sure what its called but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get one at HD or Lowes.
- Tom