Heater on the blitz - water temperature 88 deg F this Morning

al&burke

Woke up this morning my tank was at 88 deg F - don't know what happened - immediately shut off my heater, could the heater be malfunctioning. Will the fish and BTA be OK. Little bit worried what should I do. Pumps all seem to be OK. Topped of the tank with a little fresh make-up water.
I could feel the heat off the tank when I went to feed the fish.

hawkfishman

that is high, but if the ocean temps in the gulf of mexico in hurricane season are very close to that, they SHOULD be ok. did they all still eat? and what was they're behavior like when you checked on them?

keith burn

Go slow in dropping the heat.It is not good to drop the temp fast.
Use a fan over the tank's water it will help and put the heater back on.
Find what did it 1st the fan will bring the temp down slow and you have time to see what is doing it.
Question's
Do you use only one heater?
What size is the tank?

al&burke

65 Gallon tank, I took the heater out and put it in a bucket to see how it is working. Left it at the setting I had in the tank. Just checked and the bucket temp is almost 100 degrees. The fish seem fine they are eating doing there usual thing. Temperature now is 84 deg F. The heater is not old it is a 200 watt stealth. I am going to bring it back to the LFS and see if they will replace it. Glad I was home when this happened never expected anything like this. Thanks for the replies hawkfishman and keith burn. Really like this site, good people.

keith burn

you may try to go back with 3 heaters not one.
it will keep the heat from going like this and adds heat to 3 sides and not just one.
Look and see what the 3 smallest one thay have.
Put them L/M/R side on the back.set two to the temp you like and one at 1/2 degrees lower.
So no one will work 24/7 and if you need the heat it is there.

al&burke

Originally Posted by keith burn
http:///forum/post/3248554
you may try to go back with 3 heaters not one.
it will keep the heat from going like this and adds heat to 3 sides and not just one.
Look and see what the 3 smallest one thay have.
Put them L/M/R side on the back.set two to the temp you like and one at 1/2 degrees lower.
So no one will work 24/7 and if you need the heat it is there.
Thanks great idea, Have a great day.

jpercy

Originally Posted by Al&Burke
http:///forum/post/3248549
65 Gallon tank, I took the heater out and put it in a bucket to see how it is working. Left it at the setting I had in the tank. Just checked and the bucket temp is almost 100 degrees. The fish seem fine they are eating doing there usual thing. Temperature now is 84 deg F. The heater is not old it is a 200 watt stealth. I am going to bring it back to the LFS and see if they will replace it. Glad I was home when this happened never expected anything like this. Thanks for the replies hawkfishman and keith burn. Really like this site, good people.
Call the manufacturer first before going to the LFS.
I had a stealth blow up in my tank when it was cycling. Marineland replaced free of charge. They even sent UPS to pick up the broken one. Very good customer service.

bulldog123

You are the first person I have heard using three heaters. Most say two. The way to stop this problem is to use a controller like the reefkeeper or a ranco. These types of units will read the temp and shut the heater off for you. This is a very common problem with aquarium heaters.

al&burke

Originally Posted by jpercy
http:///forum/post/3248576
Call the manufacturer first before going to the LFS.
I had a stealth blow up in my tank when it was cycling. Marineland replaced free of charge. They even sent UPS to pick up the broken one. Very good customer service.
Thanks will do

al&burke

Originally Posted by Bulldog123
http:///forum/post/3248579
You are the first person I have heard using three heaters. Most say two. The way to stop this problem is to use a controller like the reefkeeper or a ranco. These types of units will read the temp and shut the heater off for you. This is a very common problem with aquarium heaters.
I think I may have a temperature controller like this at work, great idea

This seems to be a continuing problem with these stealth heaters. The one I had in my salt water mixing tank went up to 90 before I noticed it. It was only a few months old. I have never had a problem with the Visitherm model. The new heater control thermostat would be ideal. Wish they weren't so expensive. I still might spring for one in the near future. Keep an eye on things.

keith burn

Originally Posted by Bulldog123
http:///forum/post/3248579
This is true but if $ is your trbl 3 heaters $40 and reefkeeper$299.and the heaters min or 2 if you only have one and it stope not good. With 3 heaters 2 will head to tank and one set lower for back up if it gets cold.And with them small you have the time to see the temp going up to fix and test them.