Heater Problem

blcard

I have a pretty new heater that seems to think it always has to be on. Thankfully I bought an electronic thermostat with an alarm if the temp gets over 83.
Anyway, is there a way to reset the thermostat on the heater or is it junk??

grumpygils

Originally Posted by blcard
I have a pretty new heater that seems to think it always has to be on. Thankfully I bought an electronic thermostat with an alarm if the temp gets over 83.
Anyway, is there a way to reset the thermostat on the heater or is it junk??

Most likely junk. Can you get a refund?
Mc

scsinet

Originally Posted by grumpygils
Most likely junk. Can you get a refund?
Mc
..... or it's undersized...
If your heater is underpowered, it's just sitting there running and running just to hold the temperature. As a general rule of thumb, figure 5 watts per gallon of heater power to maintain a 10 degree pullup. How big is your tank and how big is your heater?
.... or it's electronic...
Some heaters with electronic controllers, like the Won heaters (which are junk but I digress) will have a "gray range." If you set them to 76, and the water is 75.5, the controller tends to feed the heater lower voltage and thus it will heat less. The LED might be on, but the heater isn't fully running. If the water cools further, the heater will get more juice. It's just a quirk with some.

blcard

The tank is a 170.
The heater is a 400W Hydro.
Even if I set the temp to 74 and the tank is sitting at 80 it will stay on.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by blcard
The tank is a 170.
The heater is a 400W Hydro.
Even if I set the temp to 74 and the tank is sitting at 80 it will stay on.

Can you make it go off at all while plugged in? If so, I would take it out and test it in a tub of water. start out with cold water....it should be on....then pour in hot water and see if it shuts off. If so, you can figure where to set it. It might not be accurate but still may be precise.
Mc

devil dog

I have one that did that all the time some times it would work and some times it would not... and when it worked it would be on all the time and the other heaters would not be on... i say get a new one...IMO
Good luck