Heater Questions.

mmslue79

I am looking at heater options for my 120g w/ 29g sump. I use Visi-Therms on both my FW setups and realy enjoy them. No adjusting, love the light to tell if it is on, etc.. So any suggestions on wattage, brand. etc... I am looking at Ebo-Jagers, maybe give them a shot. Also what is the deal with Titanium? I hear they are superior. Who makes them?I plan on putting the heater in the sump. Well any input would be awesome!

broomer5

Won Brothers makes great titanium heaters.
Remote access to temperature setpoint control is nice.

mmslue79

What watt heater from wonbrothers would you guys suggest? And how much do they run? I did not see a price on that website?

mmslue79

Check me if I am wrong, but that seems like a lot of wattage. Are you sure I need that much? Thanks for the help. Also if money is no issue, which one would you get the Pro 1 or Pro 2?

almarktool

sounds like alot of heat to me as well , i have a 200 gal and run 2 150 watt heaters could prob get away with one but i like to have a back up in case one fails current temp here in NJ at night is around 40-50 mine barely every come on and my tank is in the basement 3 floors and i still have not turned the heat on yet in the house,
as far as which one's i love the pro heat 2 model

mmslue79

Would a 250w be more than suffiecient? I have a back up heater that I will use in case of malfunction. They sell 150,250,350w.
Any suggsetions?

newfishliny

Broomer " did you say Wonton soup"
I go down the block for wonton's LOL
Really I just got a titanium pro 2 from foster its fine with
me, except the suction cups have peeled back off the tank.
I think my power head is directed to close.
Don LI/NY

eslowfiddy

No one has mentioned this, but the general rule is you want 3 Watts of heating per Gallon.
When I was setting up my tank, I wish someone would of told me that rule of thumb!
-ESlow

melbournefl

yeah, the general rule of thumb is 3 watts per gallon and the other thing is that you should probably go with multiple heaters of a lower wattage. This protects you a little bit if one gets stuck on or breaks.
Just my .02,
Paul

S

sebae0

the ebo jaegers you mentioned are really good heaters, ive had one for over 15 years and it still works great. and at the price cant go wrong less than half expensive as the titaniums jmo

hnf2k

the won brother heater isn't UL listed. if that matters to you. that steared me away from it. i dont need a japanese made product that isn't UL listed.

mmslue79

So are you saying that they have a better chance of shorting out, etc. Since they are not UL listed/rated? I dont want to spend 3K and watch it go down the drain.

surfnturf

Originally posted by mmslue79
So are you saying that they have a better chance of shorting out, etc. Since they are not UL listed/rated? I dont want to spend 3K and watch it go down the drain.

I don't think he was trying to say that. The company simply did not spend the money on bringing in people from Underwriters Laboratory. To bring in UL would cost the company an extremely large amount of money, and increase the cost of the product in the US. Rio also has no UL listing. UL listing basically means the equipment 'shouldn't' burst into flames and burn your house down, that's about all it means. For something immersed in water, I don't feel that's of any concern. As for heaters, you are better off using multiple heaters to achieve at LEAST 3 watts per gallon, the importance of maintaining a consistent water temperature cannot be overstated.

hnf2k

it's your hands in the tank not mine. all im saying is one heater heats the water the same way the others do. you might as well get the one that is UL listed.

S

simm

Iv got 2 visitherm 250w. I love them and they work great. This should be plenty for your tank.