Heaters in sump: how to size, where to put???

jessecnc

Hello,
I am building a 75gal setup with a 30 gal. sump. I want to place my heater(s) in the sump, but I don't know how to size and where exactly to put it. My sump will have 2 chambers, 1 for the skimmer, and 1 for the return pump. Any help would be great!
Thanks in advance,
Jesse

palmer

The heaters are usually rated in terms of watts needed for the size of the tank and the amount you need to raise your temp. I've got a 50gal with a 10 gal ref. I believe the recommended wattage for the heater was 200watts. But, since I only needed to raise my water temp a few degress I got the smaller 150watt, works fine. If you need two heaters you'll have to do a little math with the watts though. Some of the heating tubes can be a little long so make sure the size you get will actually fit into the chambers. They should stay totally submerged. Try to find one that has a temp adjustment that is not on the heating element itself. It's easier to make adjustments that way versus sticking your hands in the sump and adjustging the dial. You may want to find on that has a power cord that plugs into a wall instead of one the needs an extension cord plugged into it and then you plug the extension cord in for power. Nothing is easy...

trainfever

You need 5 watts per gallon for your heater. You need 500 watts. Dont forget to account for the water in your sump or your heater will be overworked. I would suggest buying
2-250 watt heaters. If one burns out, you still have the other to keep things warm. I would also suggest buying titanium heaters instead of glass. You can place the heater anywhere you want in the sump. I have mine in the last chamber, where the return pump is.

littlebuck

5 watts a gallon wow thats alot. I have one heater in my 72 gallon adn i dont worry about anything really. But living on the east coast its not that cold here. Look at getting something around 300 watts. Thats what i have in mine and i run a 72 gal tank with a 20 gal sump and a 10 gal fuge and its works well. Placement just put it at the bottom of one of the chambers.