Heating for a 180

uk-sub

Hi Chaps
What watage heater would I need for my 180g fish only tank? Average temp in the tank location is 60f (room temp is set to 50 during day and from 12am to 5 am when not used to 65 at all other times)
I'm just setting up and am currently running the system with fresh water to check plumbing / sump operation etc. I have a 300 w unit in there currently and it does not seem to be doing much. I turned it up to max and it keeping the water at 63F. Does that seem about right? Would I need 2 300s or possibly a 300 and 400w??
Thanks in advance

small triggers

I have 2x 75watt stealths and 1x 200watt stealth. Personally, i prefer to have more than one incase one goes out. Just to let you know it will take a few days to get the temp up. Is it in your tank or your sump? Mine are in my sump but when setting up i put about 6 in the tank to get the temp up molre quickly.

uk-sub

The heater is in the sump, been on since Sunday afternoon and seems fairly steady at 62F

bkl911tt

I have my 180g in my basement that stays around 65 degrees and originally was going to run two 300 watt heaters once I had the time to purchase them. I had put two 150w Visitherms in there since day one since I already had them and the water temp has been a steady 78 degrees. Now the heaters stay on longer then my single 400 watt heater on my 125.
I just wanted to note that my tank is acrylic, so it retains heat better then glass.
Is your system running now with powerheads for circulation. If the temp does not go up I would purchase two 300w heaters and if that does not help, maybe add another smaller heater. Last thing, since it has been so cold here in Maryland, I have a small plug in radiator heater that I plug in when the basement gets too cold. That way my heaters in my tank do not have to work as hard and there will be less of a temp swing in my tank.

E

eric b 125

i would use at least 2x300w heaters. i think the rule of thumb is 5w/g. i have a 200w and 300w on my 125 and it stays at the temp i have the heaters set at: 79 F.