heating question and issue

thehat

Having problems with the fluctioations on my heat in my tank.
I have a 12 gallon nano dx. What would you suggest that be the low and the high temp to have.
When the lights off. low
Lights on High.
I want everything to be safe.

forman

It sounds like the lights are heating the water. I had a similar prob. with my 5 gallon, I found that if I opened the cover ( the feeding area) it helped some, I also found that having a fan blowing across the tank cooled it. How hot is it getting with the lights on? The most important thing is to try to maintain a stable temp. range. If when the lights are on it is not going to high I would raise the heater a little so that when the lights go off the tank stays closer to that temp. as long as it isnt to high. I think you would be fine as long as your not going to high over 80 or having extreme swings in temps.

T

thomas712

What type of heater are you using?
What type of lights do you have?
Is the tank covered?

thehat

I am using a 50 watt titanium heater
The standard lights that come with the jbj 12 gal dx. I think it is like 58 watts of light.
And yes the tank is coved.
Its reaching as high as 85 degrees. That was yesterday. But until that point it was hoviering around 81 to 83.
When the lights are off its around 79 degrees. Right now the heater is set at 74. I am trying to cool the sucker down.
I noticed this when I saw some of my coraline algea start to bleach out and die.

pclown

Never trust the dial on the heater, I had the same problem but when turned my heater down 3 notches and it even out and now my temp. stays between 79 and 80 degrees.