my blue tang has just begun to breath very deeply
i tested parameters and found out that
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-20
dont know what the cause is
temp and salinity are normal

ross

How long have you had him? Is there plenty of surface agitation for oxygen exchange?

vmarius1

I have a perc. clown that started breathing heavy. I moved him to my quarantine tank when I noticed a white scale on him. Since then, I have found out that when they are coming down with Ick or some other problem they will all of a sudden start breathing heavily.
If your other fish are not breating heavy, I would move him to a quarantine tank, if you have one, and keep an eye open for Ick or some other problem until he starts breating normally.
I needed to treat my clown with a fish antibiotic (great for sinus infections too). He cleared up in a couple of days and breathing normally. Just put him back in tank.
One other thing, have you done anything to put him under stress??? If you introduce a larger alpha fish into the tank, they will get stressed and breath heavilly.
Hope this helps.

90reefkepr

ya i run skimmer
ph is 8.3
hes been in the tank about 1 1/2 mnths
there is 1 fish larger then him a royal gramma but hes been in there the whole time and he dosnt bother anyone

ross

I would guess not enough oxygen in the water. Point a powerhead at the top to agitate the surface.

zoocrazy

Originally posted by sweetreef
Nitrates are not your problem 20 isnt death threating what is your ph?

i know the nitrates are not a problem, i was just saying i'd do a water change before they get any higher.:)

sweetreef

the only things i can think of to make a fish do that is high ammonia or nitrites are low oxygen are protozoan infection..But as your saying in your testing ammonia and nitrites are 0 so i would say one of the other two could be the cause..

clarkiiboi

Originally Posted by 90reefkepr
there is 1 fish larger then him a royal gramma but hes been in there the whole time and he dosnt bother anyone
First sorry to here about your tang. Secondly, and anyone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe a tang that small would be hard to house with a positive outcome. It may of been a specific tang I read that on (I can't remember at this moment), but wanted to throw that out there as an option.