HEEEEEELLLPPP MEEEEE, please

Jaystr1

Hey everyone, im Jay ive had a 45g saltwater up and running for about 6 months now. I'll get directly to the point, i seem unable to just keep something alive, right now im in a sort of good spot, nothing has died in about a month.
I have a very basic setup no bells or whistles, i have no clue what to dose or even where to start. If someone could "mentor" me that would be great.

Jaystr1

First of what do you have?
Oh, i have "live stock" 1 green chromis, 1 3 striped damsel, 2 red leg hermit crabs, 1 arrow crab, 2 nasarious snails, and 1 rurbo "system" all the very basics hang on the back filter, kind cheap light, and 2 power heads.

Jaystr1

Whats your water pars? How long you keeping the lights on? What's your temp? How much you feeding?
Just completed a water change so not sure about the pars and considering the amount of live stock, a medium amount, lights stay on for about 8-9 hours

3xplorer19

Your pars not bad. How often you change water and how much? Premix saltwater or you got your own rodi sys?

Last edited:

Jaystr1

Your pars not bad. How often you change water and how much? Premix saltwater or you got your own rodi sys?
I dont have rodi, dont need it since im not patched into a city water system, i WAS doing 5g every 2 weeks, then foind out i should be doing 10

3xplorer19

5 gallon ain't bad but do it weekly. I got a 24 gallon and I do 10% every Sunday. I purchased nutri seawater $13 4.4 gallon and rodi water $5 4.4 gallon at my lfs. Attached photo is my water pars reading taken last Sunday. Got any corals and inverts?

Attachments

Jaystr1

5 gallon ain't bad but do it weekly. I got a 24 gallon and I do 10% every Sunday. I purchased nutri seawater $13 4.4 gallon and rodi water $5 4.4 gallon at my lfs. Attached photo is my water pars reading taken last Sunday. Got any corals and inverts?
I dont have corals, dont want to put to much money into it until i figure this out, i got like 3 inverts

beaslbob

if you don't have any macro algae like chaeto I would add some. Just partition the tank so that 3" from the glass you add an 1/4" plastic grid (eggcrate). put chaeto between the glass and eggcrate and it's best to add some side lighting.

Once you get the chaeto thriving I think you'll find things are much better.

my .02

Jaystr1

if you don't have any macro algae like chaeto I would add some. Just partition the tank so that 3" from the glass you add an 1/4" plastic grid (eggcrate). put chaeto between the glass and eggcrate and it's best to add some side lighting.

Once you get the chaeto thriving I think you'll find things are much better.

my .02
Ok I'll look into that, um i bought a condy bubble tip anemone, and it has white spots, and is shriveled

3xplorer19

Anemone need proper lighting, temperature, pH and salinity. Did you test your water pars before acclimating and transferring over? It’s normal for anemone to deflate from time to time. Mine split from stressed of insufficient lighting. And I’m have troubles now.