Hel p -Something is attacking my tank

shannonranee

I have been keeping an eye on my tank latley because we have a huge algea problem. Well tonight I notice that my serpent star looks like something has taken a big chunk ou to fhis body. He is still alive. Something has eaten my tree coral and something is eating all my snails. All I have put in my tank is two clown fish, a serpent star, a cleaner shrimp, a few little crabs, and misc snails. oh and my tree coral, and 1 thing od frog spawn. What could be doing this? My guess is some type of hitch hiker.

shannonranee

My tank has been running since Christmas day.
I took a water sample and pics to the LFS - here is what they told me. The star hs some sort of bacteria and may either recover or die.
The phospahtes and nitrates are high, which he said is feeding the algea and killing the snails, which are then decomposing, causing the phospahates and nitrates to stay high, therefor killing any more sails I put in the tank and feeding more algea - nasty cycle. He said the level are also probably what killed my tree coral.
So he said to do weekly water changes and put a bag of phosphate remover in the filter - have weekly water tests (they do them for free), and bring in pic of tank each time, plus keep track of how oftern I have to scrape algea off the glass. Do this for a month and then after a month if everything is looking ok we can add more snails.
Does this sound good?
I also talked to him about my black and white clown - she keeps raming her head into my hand and arm when I am cleaning the tank. He said she is just letting me know it is her tanki and she does not want me in it. He also said she could bite. Have you ever heard of this with a clown?

1journeyman

Actually sounds like decent advice from a LFS. I would find out how "high" your Nitrates are though. If they are killing your inverts and corals I'd do water changes more frequently than once a week.
Yes, many Damsels including Clowns can/will bite you to run you out of their territory.

Make sure you don't any worms in the tank, if they get big enough they can eat dang near everything in your tank at night. Do you notice when the damage is happening, day or night?
As far as the clown, ours nips at your hands when you put them in the tank, esp. when they are hungry and want you to feed them. But my clowns were also raised to be hand feed!
I hope your figure it out before it claims your whole tank! Keep us up to date!