Hello All

chain

I figured it was about time I joined a marine forum, and a lazy day off of work proved just the motivation I needed to do so. I have been around marine tanks since I can remember. My father has been neck deep in them since the late 70's, ironically he's also neck deep in alot of other things which are extremely expensive. He has surpassed the simple days of keeping a reef tank for the beauty and has now engulfed himself in attempting to breed and keep marine fish and inverts which most scientists say will not breed in captivity. At one point and time he actually (this is no joke) was planning to have an aquarium built (on his and my mothers property) large enough to house a great white shark. Mom actually contemplated having him sent to the pyschiatrist for that little stunt. He has since moved on (thank goodness) to a little more docile and alot smaller creatures. He's good with woodwork and builds his own stands and enclosures. He also works with acrylic some and has constructed a couple of large breeding vats there at their house in SE OK along with a few other tanks of various sizes. I, of course, have always kept a reef tank close at hand. Now that I have my own house and tons of space, I keep finding new and great places to put an aquarium =). Wife doesn't necessarily agree. I have no children atm, but do plan on having kids in the future. My oldest sister has 5 kids and my youngest has 3. Thats enough nieces and nephews to keep me from having any children any time soon. My fish seem to cost me quite a bit, however I have upmost faith that a child will definitely cost me alot more. I have 3 dedicated tanks atm. The 29 gallon reef which is listed in my profile (its the main display tank and is in the front room of our house) and 2 125 gallon reefs which have been banished to the basement =(. I also have a couple of large breeding vats and a few smaller frag tanks. I have some mandarin fry in one of my breeding vats that im trying to aquacuture atm (around 90 or so) and the other vat is bare. My frag tanks are mostly empty save for some various zoa frags with a few shrooms mixed in. I quit fragging xenia long ago, as it grows like a weed. I just chop it down now like im pruning cheato. The only issue I have had with my 29 gallon reef is excess coraline algae growth, however that's probably more of a good thing then bad as most people strive to have it grow in abundance. I am fairly confident however that should an issue arise in any of my tanks I have this wonderful group of knowledgeable individuals to seek out and answer any question I may have concerning the problem. I had a luxury most people are ill afforded in that I, in a sense, have been in this hobby since birth. At times I couldn't understand how someone could keep and care for such boring animals, however later in life it seems we understand and appreciate things more and more. I can completely understand now why my father did and still does what he does and, even though I vaguely paid attention to anything he said when a kid or teenager, I learned valuable knowledge firsthand from someone who had learned it the hard way. I can say I am lucky to have that experience behind me and I am 100% sure it's what has led to the success I have experienced in this hobby to date. I am fairly knowledgable in marine diseases, water parameter issues, algae problems, proper acclimation procedures wether it be drip (which I prefer) or the standard temp coral acclimation procedure, the chemical and biological aspects of what actually occur in an aquarium and how it 'actually matters' and I am also fairly knowledgable in rare or hard to care for marine species mainly because these are all my father has now save a few standard tanks. Alot of my knowledge is either firsthand, learned from my father, or learned from one of the many books, scientific articles, or just something which biologically and chemically makes absolute sense and explains the problem or issue. Don't misunderstand me however, I am no marine biologist or ichthyologist and don't know a fraction of the things those people know. Most of everyone on here probably knows far more then me from either firsthand experience or research. I will simply help where I can when I can with what I can. I simply joined this forum to have a good surrounding of individuals who are involved in this wonderful hobby to share ideas and knowledge with. You can always use to learn something more in life. All of the pictures posted on my profile are of the 29. Sadly I have no pictures of my other tanks on this laptop, however hopefully soon I can get some transfered over and you can see the cute little mandarin fry who got their colors not long ago. Ill wrap this gi-normous 'life story' post up in that I hope you all have a wonderful evening, stay inside, and stay warm.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain http:///forum/thread/383672/hello-all#post_3357401
I figured it was about time I joined a marine forum, and a lazy day off of work proved just the motivation I needed to do so. I have been around marine tanks since I can remember.
My father has been neck deep in them since the late 70's, ironically he's also neck deep in alot of other things which are extremely expensive. He has surpassed the simple days of keeping a reef tank for the beauty and has now engulfed himself in attempting to breed and keep marine fish and inverts which most scientists say will not breed in captivity.
At one point and time he actually (this is no joke) was planning to have an aquarium built (on his and my mothers property) large enough to house a great white shark. Mom actually contemplated having him sent to the pyschiatrist for that little stunt. He has since moved on (thank goodness) to a little more docile and alot smaller creatures.
He's good with woodwork and builds his own stands and enclosures. He also works with acrylic some and has constructed a couple of large breeding vats there at their house in SE OK along with a few other tanks of various sizes. I, of course, have always kept a reef tank close at hand.
Now that I have my own house and tons of space, I keep finding new and great places to put an aquarium =). Wife doesn't necessarily agree. I have no children atm, but do plan on having kids in the future. My oldest sister has 5 kids and my youngest has 3. Thats enough nieces and nephews to keep me from having any children any time soon. My fish seem to cost me quite a bit, however I have upmost faith that a child will definitely cost me alot more.
I have 3 dedicated tanks atm. The 29 gallon reef which is listed in my profile (its the main display tank and is in the front room of our house) and 2 125 gallon reefs which have been banished to the basement =(. I also have a couple of large breeding vats and a few smaller frag tanks. I have some mandarin fry in one of my breeding vats that im trying to aquacuture atm (around 90 or so) and the other vat is bare. My frag tanks are mostly empty save for some various zoa frags with a few shrooms mixed in. I quit fragging xenia long ago, as it grows like a weed. I just chop it down now like im pruning cheato.
The only issue I have had with my 29 gallon reef is excess coraline algae growth, however that's probably more of a good thing then bad as most people strive to have it grow in abundance. I am fairly confident however that should an issue arise in any of my tanks I have this wonderful group of knowledgeable individuals to seek out and answer any question I may have concerning the problem. I had a luxury most people are ill afforded in that I, in a sense, have been in this hobby since birth.
At times I couldn't understand how someone could keep and care for such boring animals, however later in life it seems we understand and appreciate things more and more. I can completely understand now why my father did and still does what he does and, even though I vaguely paid attention to anything he said when a kid or teenager, I learned valuable knowledge firsthand from someone who had learned it the hard way.
I can say I am lucky to have that experience behind me and I am 100% sure it's what has led to the success I have experienced in this hobby to date. I am fairly knowledgable in marine diseases, water parameter issues, algae problems, proper acclimation procedures wether it be drip (which I prefer) or the standard temp coral acclimation procedure, the chemical and biological aspects of what actually occur in an aquarium and how it 'actually matters' and I am also fairly knowledgable in rare or hard to care for marine species mainly because these are all my father has now save a few standard tanks. Alot of my knowledge is either firsthand, learned from my father, or learned from one of the many books, scientific articles, or just something which biologically and chemically makes absolute sense and explains the problem or issue.
Don't misunderstand me however, I am no marine biologist or ichthyologist and don't know a fraction of the things those people know. Most of everyone on here probably knows far more then me from either firsthand experience or research. I will simply help where I can when I can with what I can. I simply joined this forum to have a good surrounding of individuals who are involved in this wonderful hobby to share ideas and knowledge with. You can always use to learn something more in life.
All of the pictures posted on my profile are of the 29. Sadly I have no pictures of my other tanks on this laptop, however hopefully soon I can get some transfered over and you can see the cute little mandarin fry who got their colors not long ago. Ill wrap this gi-normous 'life story' post up in that I hope you all have a wonderful evening, stay inside, and stay warm.

LOL..Welcome to the site.
I hope you don't mind...I kind of fixed your post...one huge paragraph is a little hard to read.
Boy are you going to come in handy to have around. Are you going to teach the mandarins to eat frozen foods? I’m not so sure children are more expensive than a SW fish tank. I do know I couldn’t afford the hobby until after the kids were grown.
I have to yet look at your profile to see your tank..

chain

Thank you much for the editing. Didn't even occur to me to space the paragraphs apart. Yes the idea is to get the mandarins eating a variety of frozen foods, however mysis being the main goal. I usually feed live brine to begin with (have to be careful with this due to the nutritional deficiency), followed by frozen brine followed by frozen mysis which is where it ends. I'll usually attempt another few different frozen varities to see how they respond, however its usually not too well. They seem to mainly prefer frozen mysis if an abundance of pods aren't available. Haha I sure hope your right about the kids and fish. Maybe ill get the chance to retire some day.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain http:///forum/thread/383672/hello-all#post_3357416
Thank you much for the editing. Didn't even occur to me to space the paragraphs apart. Yes the idea is to get the mandarins eating a variety of frozen foods, however mysis being the main goal. I usually feed live brine to begin with (have to be careful with this due to the nutritional deficiency), followed by frozen brine followed by frozen mysis which is where it ends. I'll usually attempt another few different frozen varities to see how they respond, however its usually not too well. They seem to mainly prefer frozen mysis if an abundance of pods aren't available. Haha I sure hope your right about the kids and fish. Maybe ill get the chance to retire some day.

LOL..Glad I didn't annoy you right off. I looked at your pictures, the full tank shots were a little dark but your close ups show some nice coral and clown fish. I think it's the actinic, everything I try to photgraph looks dark and very blue as well.
Kids are great, I had 3... it's really hard to balance work and children, being a Grandparent is much easier, I have 12 Grandchildren

I have a 90g reef and I am working on a 30g seahorse tank. I should be able to get the horses by the end of this month.

chain

Yea the corals pop a lot more under actinic lighting and show alot more colors, however the pictures were taken with my iphone camera so the quality is really lacking. If I can get my wife to 'loan' me my good camera again I'll take some better photos of the tank and fish. Being only 29 gallon there isn't a giant variety of corals to begin with due to the lack of light absorbing surface area. Mostly softies; zoas, shrooms, and xenia, and a few LPS. Ooo Wow a seahorse tank =). I always thought they were beautiful creatures, however their highly specialized care requirements kind of threw me off when starting. I just didn't have the time to provide them with the proper care they would of needed. Would love to have a species only seahorse tank one day though. Maybe when I get these mandarins eating frozen I can send one your way to put in with your horses.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain http:///forum/thread/383672/hello-all#post_3357423
Yea the corals pop a lot more under actinic lighting and show alot more colors, however the pictures were taken with my iphone camera so the quality is really lacking. If I can get my wife to 'loan' me my good camera again I'll take some better photos of the tank and fish. Being only 29 gallon there isn't a giant variety of corals to begin with due to the lack of light absorbing surface area. Mostly softies; zoas, shrooms, and xenia, and a few LPS. Ooo Wow a seahorse tank =). I always thought they were beautiful creatures, however their highly specialized care requirements kind of threw me off when starting. I just didn't have the time to provide them with the proper care they would of needed. Would love to have a species only seahorse tank one day though. Maybe when I get these mandarins eating frozen I can send one your way to put in with your horses.

Oh yes perfect, I was planning on getting one and someone mentioned to get one that eats frozen.
I'm getting captive bred seahorses so they eat frozen mysis shrimp, so it's much easier than it once was to keep them. That's why I never had them before either. I always heard how they only eat live brine shrimp but it turns out they are talking about dwarf seahorses, not the big babies like Reidi or Erectus. A 6 to 7 inch seahorse...I never knew they got that big, and eat frozen too... so I'm finally going to get some.