Hello Breeders: mouth deformities?

neoreef

Hi,
I've been breeding clownfish for about 6 months, I have 4 hatches that made it thru metamorphosis. I have sold off the first hatch and have 3 more growing up on a system in my basement. The last hatch was quite "successful" as I have more than 100 from that nest. Unfortunately, about a third of them have mouth deformities. Some cannot close their mouths at all, and some have protruding lower jaws. Otherwise the fish look healthy , are eating and growing just fine, most have all their white bands. I am feeding them Otohime weaning diet at this point. They are 5 weeks old. No fish from the previous hatches had any mouth deformities.
Any of you have experience with this mouth/jaw deformity problem, and how do you prevent it?
Thanks in advance,
Kathy

mythrenody

If it's a genetic deformity there's not much you can do unless breed a different pair of fish. Or if you're an experienced genetic engineer,haha,sorry

bluetanger

i have a few pairs of breeded clowns and one pair layed and hatched nothing wrong-then come next batch this same jaw thing your talking about-a friend of mine is biologist at florida state and he said that the eggs could have gotten layed wrong or bumped or just not fertilized completely

viper_930

Originally Posted by bluetanger
a friend of mine is biologist at florida state and he said that the eggs could have gotten layed wrong or bumped or just not fertilized completely
Just wondering, how would an egg not get fertilized completely?