Hello everyone

jared_p

Ok first hi im new and would like to introduce myself. Second I'v never owned a Salt water tank so this is going to be my first. All I have is a 10gallon tank maybe soon a 24gallon tank but prob wont be for awhile. So I want to start one in my 10 gallon tank I came up with a shopping list and this is it. Is this what I need and everything?
Basics:

maxi jet 400 PH powerhead-106gph
Bio System Power Filter & Oxy Surface Skimmer-95gph
WON Pro-Heat IC Heater 50 W
20 inch 2x40 Watt Current USA PowerCompact Orbit Fixture
Red Sea Hydrometer with Digital Thermometer
PH test kits dont know of any good ones really?
possibly the Portable pH Pen / Meter

Sand/Rock:

12lbs of live fiji rock
10lbs of live sand
Inverts & Coral

the nano pack from SWF.com with
Scarlet Hermit Crab:5
Blueleg Hermit Crab:5
Turbo/Astrea Snail:10
Nasssarius Snail:5
Fighting Conch - Aquacultured:2
Cleaner Clam:2
Cleaner Shrimp
Yellow Polyps
Green Star Polyp
Leather - Lobed
Finally Fish

I figure this would be pushing it but..
False Percula Clownfish
(2) Blue Reef Chromis
now im not sure if this is to much or not. From what I know everything is fine but I might not be able to have 3 fish.Also I know that this would be a slow process but this would be total when done what I'd want. In order.
Thanks.

halostalker

Yea well u got ur tank right idk if ur so dedicated try for a bigger tank and maybe a better light, but so far everything is fine,
You are better of with a refractometer they cost around 60 buckz but are way better and easyer to use then the one u will be getting.
Also u need a ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph test kit.
i really don't know how much just setting up the tank will cost u but i'll tell u having a bigger tank will make u happier, but ur fine if u want to do this tank=P and instead of the chromis get a goby of some sort maybe a goby/pistol shrimp.

jared_p

I just dont know about a bigger tank...I know they say its harder for a smaller tank considering its easy for the levels to go wrong but I just feel like 10 would be fine to start off cause the bigger the tank the more im looking at spending on lights pumps filtering sand rock etc...not sure if I have that money lol...

halostalker

actually did u look at all in one systems i have a jbj 28 HQI nano and to tell u the truth for me to buy everything seperate it would cost alot more.
Also look at this as a long period of spending money, b/c ur not goin to buy everything at once..... like i thought i would only spend 1500 and thats it on my tank wow im sadly mistaken heheh. it all comes with time.

jared_p

Yea im thinking of the 24gallon verison now that im looking.
and i expect to spend more then i expect......lol

jared_p

the USA aquapod 12 gallon
That one im looking at. does it come with everything I would need? filter lights powerhead everything?
If so i'll prob go with that. then later on if i go bigger use my 10gallon as a sump.