Hello, Just got my first Zoas!

crashgraphics

Hello everyone,
My wife just brought home some zoas. She got green center button polyps, and a pagoda rock frag. I have a few questions, will these be fine in my tank for a day or 2 with the normal light? I ordered a set of T5's and they haven't arrived yet. They are 216w, with 2 12k lights, 2 actinic blue lights, led moon lights and I added a programmer for turning them on and off. When I get the lights should I move the zoas further down in the tank? Where would you place them? I bought the stuff your suppose to add to the tank twice a week for the zoas (i dont remember what its called, im at work right now), do I need to turn the filters off when I add this stuff? Also I have 2 powerheads in the tank, is that enough flow? Theyre older ones and I was thinking about getting 2 new ones that oscilate. I would put the 2 new ones in the tank and take one of the old ones out.
Well thanks for your time everyone. All input is greatly appreciated.
thanks

1snapple

Bottom of tank is fine, what stuff? you don't have to give zoos anything.
thats enough flow. med-low flow for zoos.

crashgraphics

Ok I returned that crap the lfs sold us for the zoas. On another note my T-5HO's showed up today. The legs are not gonna work with my glass lids. Is it ok if the lights sit on the top of the tank, when its sitting on the trim there is like a 1/4" gap from the lights to the lids. Also none of the bulbs are on the trim, just the light housing. Also I have no idea what time I should have my lights turning on or off and what the zoas need. I have the actinics coming on at 7am and going off at 9pm, the 12ks coming on at 8am and going off at 8pm, and moon lights on at 10pm and off at 6 am. Let me know what you guys think and what is recommended for zoas.
thanks for your time!

nano-newb1983

setting the light on top shouldnt be a problem.. can u hang light somehow on cealing?
I think ur light timeing is good, im not a expert on all that atinics and all that
My zoas are under a MH bulb and its only on 7 hours and they seem to like that
Also i have a frag tank with t5's thats on for 7 hours too and they seem very happy. I got 1 atinic and 1 white bulb on them
hope that helps lol

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashGraphics http:///forum/thread/384047/hello-just-got-my-first-zoas#post_3363926
Ok I returned that crap the lfs sold us for the zoas. On another note my T-5HO's showed up today. The legs are not gonna work with my glass lids. Is it ok if the lights sit on the top of the tank,
when its sitting on the trim there is like a 1/4" gap from the lights to the lids. Also none of the bulbs are on the trim, just the light housing. Also I have no idea what time I should have my lights turning on or off and what the zoas need. I have the actinics coming on at 7am and going off at 9pm, the 12ks coming on at 8am and going off at 8pm, and moon lights on at 10pm and off at 6 am. Let me know what you guys think and what is recommended for zoas.
thanks for your time!
I have my T5 fixture sitting directly on the tank rim, I don't want my precious lumens going anywhere except inside my tank...ok, ok...the real reason is my chair is close to the tank and I can't stand light in my eyes. It seems to work just fine.
I would listen to NaNo on times, I personally run mine 10hrs total, whites on for 8hrs.
PS
First zoas huh? Yeah, you're screwed. Next thing you know, you'll be lusting for $100pp Utter Chaos like NaNo does....

crashgraphics

Slice dont say stuff like that. Ive had the tank for years with FOWLR. My wife and I had our first child and decided to get rid of the mean fish and get colorful ones. Then I decided we needed the T5's and my wife said "Well if we get those lights we will have to get some corals." So we decided to start with some zoos, cause they come in so many colors and variations and I just really like how they look. Thanks for the info everyone. Im really loving these new lights!

nano-newb1983

lets see some pics of the zoas
P.S- Slice
i didnt pay $100pp lol
i got the utter chaos and 2 red hornets for $135 shipped hehe

crashgraphics

Ok ill try and get some up before I go to work. The green buttons haven't really opened up yet for me, but the pagoda rock frag has opened every day when I turn the lights on. I dont know if its really called a pagoda rock frag? Thats what they call it on here and my lfs.

crashgraphics

Sorry for the crappy pictures. I havent really had time to play with my new canon t2i camera. Also waiting for my macro lens to show up. And I know the background has to go, i bought the setup from a guy locally and thats what he had, ive used it for 3 years now. Im thinking about going with just a plain black one. I dont remember if the greens had that greyish white stuff on them when I put them in the tank. Let me know what you think. I had them on the bottom and SWF said to put them middle to top, so I dont know.
thanks for all your time,
Crash

nano-newb1983

nice pretty good size poly rock
i have some of those and moved them around a few time, and they seem to be happy in higher light.. they get a nice bright green
where u got em in ur tank now?

crashgraphics

Well I dont know whats going on my my greens. Most of them open up and I touch them with a pencil that shrink up. But right in the center of them theres a group that is all balled up and white in color, a few of them have a pink dot in the center. Any ideas? Are they dying? Should I remove them like now? Ill post a picture in a few minutes.
thanks for the help!
Crash

nikesb

those arent actually zoas. theyre proto palythoas, good beginner coral. keep them isolated IMO just case you find you dont want them in the future

crashgraphics

Ok so I got off work early today cause in 6 hours I'm leaving for Vegas for 5 days and when I got home and looked at the green proto palythoas, I noticed a few more of them are starting to turn white! I dont want to go on vacation and come home and have all my fish dead cause these things nuking my tank! Any idea on why they are turning white. If they're dieing ill remove them right away.
thanks for the help
Crash