Hello!

geridoc

Thank you everyone for being so helpful. My levels finally went to normal and I am adding my first fish as we speak. Currently being acclimated. It's a little mocha clownfish. I'm so nervous. I just want everything to be ok. This is my first addition and I feel will always have a special place. I feel like you could never forget your first fish when you first start out in this hobby.

I am hopeful it's a good sign that this fish is really active. He's swimming all over in the bag. He was swimming all over as soon as I could see him when I opened the packaging. (Was an online purchase as most of my fish will be)
Clownfish are great, but I don't know if they are an ideal first fish since they tend to become very territorial, and may attack newcomers as you add new livestock. I generally add my clowns last, or at least very late in the stocking process. Right now I am nervous because I have had an ocellaris clown and a flame hawkfish alone for over a year in a tank, and am about to build up the stock in that tank. As you add livestock, if you see aggression from the clownfish, just rearrange the rockwork so that its territory is disrupted, and it will probably settle down.

Cyrus Stinson

Well. My order arrived today. I'd like to start by saying I followed the DOA protocol, filled out the appropriate form, included a photo of the fish that passed away in transit. I wanted to speak to the people at saltwaterfish.com but I've been sitting here for over 20 minutes trying to get through and continuously getting thrown back to the "welcome press 1 message". I can't believe no one answers the phone. It's 3:45 on a Wednesday.

My fish, crabs, and shrimp arrived in absolutely freezing cold water. I ordered 4 crabs and received 3, it even says 4 on the bag. The poor shrimp only has one claw, the other was clearly ripped off. The fish were obviously dead being in water that cold. I thought everything was dead as everything was just floating upside down in their bags. When I took everything out to take the photos they require, some how the crabs and shrimp started to barely move. I immediately got tank water to put them in. The shrimp and crabs all became more lively in the warmer water. I doubt the shrimp will make it. He is having trouble moving around, staying upright, and the poor thing is missing a claw.
So out of all of the livestock I ordered, the fish died, I was shorted on crabs, and the shrimp is damaged to the point I don't think he will make it. On top of it, I can't get in touch with saltwaterfish staff through their phone number. It says on their website they are available at this day and time. I'm so mad at the whole situation.

jay0705

I debated pm you this but instead I will allow this to be public. Swf.com customer service sucks!!!!! I love this forum, but they really need to fix there service. That said, if u message the guy who always posts there specials on here that may help

Cyrus Stinson

Yea, not ok. They refunded for the missing crab, but they aren't doing anything thus far for the fish. I know for a fact that I submitted all required information and photo well within the 5 hour time given. I am still well within the 5 hour window

Kristin1234

Wow. Of all the livestock I have ordered from here I had 1 diamond goby not make it. I just went on there website uploaded the photo and all that good stuff and they refunded my money to me.

Cyrus Stinson

I need some serious help. This morning all my fish died. There were only three. I just don't know what went wrong. All levels had tested fine. Tank had been cycling for a month. I was making sure everything tested just fine 3 to 4 times a week until I was getting consistent readings. They were fine for a couple days and now obviously not.
I just don't know what could have gone wrong!?
I did add dry rock to the tank, maybe that caused it, but it was rinsed in the aquarium water I had transferred to buckets and then dumped when we were done. Could this have been the cause?

What do I do now? 50% water change? Complete water change? Start over completely? I'm just unsure. Let me know what I should do still new to this.

Kristin1234

The added rock could have caused the ammonia to come up Of there was any for off at all.

Did you make sure your cycle completed? Your ammmonia rocketed and came back down?

Howd you acclimate fish?

Whered you get the fish? All same place? Did you qt the fish? What kind of fish?

Cyrus Stinson

Only one of the fish in the tank was from the shipment. It was not from saltwater fish. I definitely had a full cycle in my tank. There was a lot of debris coming off of the rocks even after they were rinsed. I figured I would do a 50 to 75% water change and see where that leaves me as far as my levels go and water clarity.
The fish were drip acclimated
Two of the fish came from my local fish store. In one came from an online retailer.

I am currently doing a 75% water change. I am almost positive that the new dry rock was the cause of this. I am going to rinse, boil, rinse again each rock individually

Last edited:

lmforbis

The dry rock may have caused an ammonia spike depending on what kind. If it was once in an ocean like pukani it needs to be cured prior to putting in a tank.
Adding 3 fish at once could do it too. I'd allow the tank to cycle a couple more weeks with ghost feeding and try again with only one fish. Every 2-4 weeks so the bacteria can catch up with the bio load.
I would also strongly recommend quarantining the fish first. With quarantine you prevent disease from entering your display tank. You can also adjust the salinity of the Qt to that of the bag (the bag is often lower and a fast rise in salinity is a fish killer). Drip acclimating is fine if there
isn't much difference but often fish come at 1.016-1.020 and going up to 1.025 can kill them even with drip acclimating. In the QT you can increase salinity over days or a couple weeks.

Last edited:

lmforbis

Only one of the fish in the tank was from the shipment. It was not from saltwater fish. I definitely had a full cycle in my tank. There was a lot of debris coming off of the rocks even after they were rinsed. I figured I would do a 50 to 75% water change and see where that leaves me as far as my levels go and water clarity.
The fish were drip acclimated
Two of the fish came from my local fish store. In one came from an online retailer.

I am currently doing a 75% water change. I am almost positive that the new dry rock was the cause of this. I am going to rinse, boil, rinse again each rock individually
at this point the rock needs curing. Just leave it for a couple weeks. Boiling won't help other than listening the crap on the rocks which will already have happened in your tank. Currently they are probably starting to grow bacteria which is what you want any way.

Kristin1234

at this point the rock needs curing. Just leave it for a couple weeks. Boiling won't help other than listening the crap on the rocks which will already have happened in your tank. Currently they are probably starting to grow bacteria which is what you want any way.
+1

Cyrus Stinson

alright. so. I have emptied the tank almost completely. The crabs survived. I am worried about what to do with them.. I put them in a container for now since I don't have a quarantine tank. I feel like maybe i should get the equipment for a quarantine tank and then see if my LFS would let me buy some established water and I can keep them in quarantine until the tank is ready again
thoughts?

lmforbis

I'd buy a qt tank. You don't need much. A heater hang on back filter and a couple pieces of PVC for hiding places. Established water won't be beneficial and can bring disease. Mix up some fresh salt water. You might want to buy some bottled bacteria like Dr Tims for the qt. keep a close eye on the ammonia.

jay0705

A qt will be a great thing. It wouldn't have helped much this time, but will help next time

Cyrus Stinson

Just wanted to update those of you that have followed this or been offering tips and suggestions.
The tank is up and running. A single emerald crab survived everything and seems to be doing alright. He crawls around and had been picking off the rock. I got a better filter. The one I bought originally was a fluval but only good up to 45 gallons. I trusted who I bought it from because they are friends of some people I know. They understood I was new in the hobby and sold me a bunch of stuff. I had to buy a better heater as the one I had only heated up to 30gallons. And that fluval only good for a tank up to 45. Since I have a 60 gallon and I've learned a bit more. I purchased a new fluval 306 which is good up until 70 gallons. The water is crystal clear. The salinity is at 1.024, but I'm going to get it up to 1.025 this evening. My pH is good. My ammonia is 0, my Nitrites are 0 and my nitrates are somewhere between 5 and 10. Everything looks balanced. I was thinking I'd start next week adding a single damsel.

Any thoughts?

lmforbis

I'd avoid a damsel. They are beautiful and very hardy but they are very aggressive. Once the start killing every new addition they are a royal pain in the behind to catch. Usually requiring you remove most of your rock and water.
A single oscellaris clown would be a good option. I will advise you to quarantine each fish for 30 days of observation and possible treatment before you add to your tank. One fish, that has a parasite that you can't see, can kill the whole tank. May of us have done it and paid the price. It isn't worth the aggravation and you already have an extra filter and heater. You just need a 10 gallon tank and some PVC pipe and you have a QT.

jay0705

Always over filter. The one exception is w alot of live rock. The stuff really is all the bio filtration you need. However always better to have more than not enough. That said I agree w the no damsel. The single clown is fine if you only want 1 clown. If you want a pair add them together.