HELP!!!??! Algea over load.

fireemt_us

Ok, I have a newly setup tank and it seems to be growing some new and interesting algea. I have an abundance of red hair like algea on the bottom and also some deep maroon and purple stuff up the sides. Only the stuff on the bottom is hairy. Long hairs too, like two to three inches. There is also some small christmas tree looking things growing in the sand there about a 1/2 an inch. What, if anything, should I do about all this algea? The tank is about a month old it has 2" of sand, some LR (not quite enough its still curing.) good flow over the whole tank. A refuge, strong lights, and perfect water. The tank did have a small cycle about a week after setup.
pH 8.2
Temp 77.3
NO3 (nitrate) = 0
NO2 (nitrite) = 0
NH3/NH4 (ammonia) = 0
PO4 (phospate) = 0
SG = 1.026
Trace elements
Calcium = about 1000, kinda high
Magnesium = 1250mg/L
Borate = 1.5meg/L
Bromide = 65mg/L
The entire setup uses RO/DI
There is no clean up crew other than a mexican turbo. There is no life in the tank yet other than a yellow tang and a clown. The setup has a protien skimmer that runs great. lighting is 2 - 48" PC with four 96watt 10K bulbs each. the tank is 24x24x96. the sump is about another 100gal. The sump has reverse lighting and will get some macro algea. later.
Whats wrong, and whats next?
This is not my first tank but is the most complex, its not doing what I thought it would.

wwfstyle

Try cutting back your lights a few days and get that CAL lvl DOWN V V V. Try to have it at 400. Do some water changes everyday only about 15 - 20% a day. Might have to get a few more clean up crew but since your tank is still cycleing there is a good chance you will loose them. So 1st I would keep lights off for a couple days then have them on for only a few hrs a day till this calms down.

fireemt_us

Thanks for the advice, but I think that the tank is done cycling. Its just growing algea for reasons Im not sure of. I deffinitly need a clean up crew, A few emralds should do the trick.
Thanks again

rvdfn420

That happens to a lot of people when the tank ends it's big cycle. With my tank I had a huge brown alge break out, lasted about three days, read the board, its very common.

fireemt_us

I had done a search but really couldnt find any post that adressed the exact problem. Thanks for the help though