help and QUICK!

lionfish12

my long tenicle anemone was fine last night but this morning i looked in the tank and it was green and was really tiny. It is about 6'' open but today it was like 1'' long.. The clown is still trying to go in it but i think its dead. I fell bad for the clown :scared: What is wrong with it? I have the lights on right now and i added some more lights to see if it just needed more light but i think i am too late saving him.

greatfullreefer

What kind of lighting do you have? what is the wattage? what size tank and how long has it been set up? what are your parameters?
Very sorry for your loss

lionfish12

its a 40 gallon tank with like 80 watts. Everything is fine with salt.. temp.. ect.. I think it is dead now. It turned neon green and is not moving.. The Clown went into a hinding spot and wont come out. Sould i turn the lights on or off. Do you think it is getting too much light? Its on for 12 hours. Now what do i do with it?

greatfullreefer

By Long Tenticle i am assuming it is a condi?
Also i dont think the concern is too much light, i do believe however it may be due to not enough light. Even a condi (pretty hardy) would require near 160 watts in a 40. Somebody will correct me if i have been misinformed. Anenomies in general will not tolerate ANY Ammonia, NitrItes or NitrAtes and do require a tank that has been problem free a year or more.
Good Luck

T

thomas712

First off anemones will not survive under Normal output lighting, if that is what you have then take it back to the lfs or upgrade your lighting.
LTA's require more lighting than E.Quad's or condys, MH would be appropriate for them, especially since they prefer sand substrates and are normally at the bottom of the tank, the light needs to be strong enough to reach them.
When an anemone moves it will expand and contract for the move and look strange as it recuperates from the moving.
You should have researched LTA's first before getting one. I suggest feeding it to see if any food even sticks to the tenticals. Then take it back to the LFS or upgrade your lighting.
Thomas

lionfish12

im waiting until my dad gets home to see what he wants to do with it... Im taking a water sample to the pet store when they open to see what they think is wrong. All the test that i did where fine.. Its just a long tenicle anemone..

T

thomas712

One more thing:
Calm down, it seems that many of your posts lately have been marked urgent. Forwarned is forarmed, research first before you buy, ask for everyones experience with certain livestock or stocking questions, before you have an emergancy and freak out. Learn from the mistakes and experience of others to avoid those pitfalls.
Thomas

lionfish12

i did reasearch.. he was fine the first week but now he looks the same.. I really cant tell if hes alive or not... The clown is trying to get in it. I fell bad for him..

greatfullreefer

Researching is not just looking at a picture and saying that looks cool i want one. You need to determin its needs and requirements, you must realise with all the anenomme posts on the board that you just did not have enough light to sustain one? If i remember from your previous posts you already have way too much in your tank. I would assume you do regular water testing with that much of a bio-load? I also recall that your tank is somewhat new? in your research did you conclude that your tank was indeed not established enough to house an anenomme?
Please correct me if i am wrong, my memory is not what it used to be :)

lionfish12

my anemone is not dead and it has been doing better after i feed him. My tank has been set up for 2 years and i do have now :
yellow tang- 2''
blue hippo- 1/2''
clown- 1''
grouper- 3''
they are all small and they all will be in a larger tank soon. Ill let it cycle for 10 weeks like i did with the tank i have now. I need to pick up some salt today to do a water change. the level that shows waste is the same when i only have the tang and lion in it.

droshi

The only indicator that I know of that an anemone is dead is if it dissolves. That being said you should consider PC, VHO or T5 lighting for your anemone if you do not want to move to metal halide, feedings will supplement them, but I believe it is important to do both correctly. Target feeding mysis shrimp or formula one or small chopped shrimp (human consumption) have all worked for me as food for my RBTA. Hope it works out for you, if you are not willing to make the lighting upgrade I would recommend returning the specimen.