help....another skimmer question....

leeleeah

Sorry folks but yet another skimmer question....I just purchased a SeaClone 100 for my 50 gall FOWLR tank. I just installed it. The directions say to leave the air tube wide open for one hour and then make small turns every hour after that until foam appears in upper chamber. My question is, right now it is making millions of micro bubbles with the tube wide open. I'm suppose to wait one hour until making another adjustment. Will this hurt my fish during the acclimation time for the skimmer? and am I doing this right? I need a little help here I think.....

scopus tang

Are the microbubbles in the skimmer or going into the tank? Microbubbles in the skimmer are normal ~ its how the skimmer works; it creates a foam which collects in the collection cup. Microbubbles in the skimmer will not harm your fish.

leeleeah

The micro bubbles are going into the tank....it says to start out with the air flow control wide open, wait one hour, then 1/4 turn every half hour after that. Am I doing something wrong? It is set up just as the directions say.

scopus tang

Try turning the knob to see if you can't get rid of the bubbles entering the tank. Adjusting the knob will usually change the airflow and increase or decrease the amount of water coming out of the skimmer. I've never had microbubbles come out of the skimmer. Check to make sure that all connections are solid and not leaking?! I personally never let my skimmers run for an hour before adjusting them. Most skimmers have a 48 hour break in period, but you still shouldn't be getting microbubbles going into the tank. The seaclone isn't necessarily the best skimmer on the market either ~ but it does work.

anadliv

I have same skimmer, just follow the directions and it will work out. I don tthink the seaclone works too good. It has no water level adjustment and never seems to produce much foam that makes it to the top of the cup.

harryminnella

Had the same problem, called tech support, they said it was using a water conditioner with aloe. To shut off air for a few days untill it goes away. took about a week now no micro bubbles. Another week went by... I bought a ne skimmer

leeleeah

harry, which skimmer did you buy and what size tank do you have? I thought the seaclone 100 would work great for my 50 gal, but now I'm not so sure.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by anadliv
http:///forum/post/2470059
I have same skimmer, just follow the directions and it will work out. I don tthink the seaclone works too good. It has no water level adjustment and never seems to produce much foam that makes it to the top of the cup.
What is a water level adjustment on a skimmer? I've run Skilters, Sea Clones, Red Sea Prizms, and Coralife Super Skimmers, none of them have a water level adjustment to my knowledge (all of them have airflow adjustments which change the water flow rate by changing the amount of bubbles produced, but not the water level). I concure that the seaclone is not a great skimmer, but its 100 times better than the Skilter! You do have to adjust the air flow in order to adjust the skimming, and many of them leak at the joints, which is a real pain.

anadliv

Im sorry, by water level adjustment, I ment the red knob on the coralife supper skimmer 65. It ist he dial that raises the water level inside the colelction cup

scopus tang

Ok, now I know what you mean. How do you like the Coralife? I'm running one on my 65 gallon reef tank and its really frustrating me. It runs great for about two days, then suddenly starts overskimming and overflows the collection cup.
Anybody know how to prevent this from happening? I thinks its because the water in the sump drops too much in a 12 hour time period, and I'm adding a drip system just to keep water levels up, but if anyone knows another way to prevent the overflow I would appreciate the input.

anadliv

I love coarlifes skimmer, but yes i had overflow problems. ANymore i just take the air intake tube off and rinse with fresh water. sometimes salt builds up and it cant get air which causes over flow. Mine is ahngin on back not in sump. mine still kept overflowing so i drilled about a 3/4 inch hole in collection cup and ran to a 5 gallon conatiner under my tank. that way if cup got filled to high then water would run down the tube to below tank

natclanwy

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2470107
What is a water level adjustment on a skimmer? I've run Skilters, Sea Clones, Red Sea Prizms, and Coralife Super Skimmers, none of them have a water level adjustment to my knowledge (all of them have airflow adjustments which change the water flow rate by changing the amount of bubbles produced, but not the water level). I concure that the seaclone is not a great skimmer, but its 100 times better than the Skilter! You do have to adjust the air flow in order to adjust the skimming, and many of them leak at the joints, which is a real pain.
Are you maybe adding something to your tank that is causing this? I have a CPR skimmer and it works pretty good and I never have to adjust it but if I add something like stress coat my skimmer will go crazy but after a few hours it will return to normal. Some types of foods will do this too like Marine snow and DT's phytoplankton.

metweezer

The Aqua C Remora has a collection cup that can be adjusted to receive a more foamy skimate. I threw the Seaclone away after a month. It is garbage.

derekc

ive had my seaclone for 2 mths now and i clean and empty the cup every other day....close the valve completely for 48 hours . After 48 hours...open all the way the slowly turn 1/4 turn till you hear the skimmer burp on the inside when you hear the burp STOP. and leave it there and youll have collection within 24 hrs.!!!!

scopus tang

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/2470563
Are you maybe adding something to your tank that is causing this? I have a CPR skimmer and it works pretty good and I never have to adjust it but if I add something like stress coat my skimmer will go crazy but after a few hours it will return to normal. Some types of foods will do this too like Marine snow and DT's phytoplankton.
Nope, I'm not feeding anything, nor am I adding any chemicals or treatments. The only coralation I can make is between the water level in the sump and the skimmer.

natclanwy

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2470917
Nope, I'm not feeding anything, nor am I adding any chemicals or treatments. The only coralation I can make is between the water level in the sump and the skimmer.
Must be a coralife thing my skimmer doesn't really care how much water is in the sump as long as the pump is not submersed too far then it just won't pull air through the venturi.