Help ASAP Help

crox

I would like to know how does an external pump start!!!! I tried to turn it on but it's not drawing any water.!!!!

dogstar

Many pumps need to be PRIMED befor running them. That and this was/is a rough sketch. It would need a check valve in the sump and a fitting above the water line of the sump after the pump that you can open and fill the pipe with some water befor turning it on...or figure a way to get the pipes from the sump to the pump full with water first.........

laddy

PRIME IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL.....if the pump did not start up right as you plugged it in, then it probably needs to be primed (i.e. air removed) to start.

lubeck

Suck, Suck and Suck until you can't suck anymore.
Stick some flex tubing up as far as possible on the intake pipe and suck. make sure all your returns as well as your intake are completely submerged. If your having trouble try using a vacuum to prime the pump.

crox

I am still unable to get the pump primed!!! :help: :help: :help: i put a fitting like dogstar suggested but i don't have a check valve. My fishes and corals are sitting in a Rubbermaid cointainer since Saturday!!!

threed240

Cant you pour water in the other side of the pump? If the pump has some thing to pump, it will start a suction(or vaccum) on the other end where the air is trapped. Also like what was said above, run a air tube into the pipe with the trapped air and suck it out. Thats how I started my overflow utubes.

dogstar

You could try a ball valve instead of a check valve in the sump end. Close it and fill the lines with water and then close the fill hole and then start the pump and then quickly open the valve....

crox

Originally Posted by Dogstar
You could try a ball valve instead of a check valve in the sump end. Close it and fill the lines with water and then close the fill hole and then start the pump and then quickly open the valve....

I am going to try putting my hand on the suction and fill the tube from above and maybe with a little bit of luck........

fishnerd

Try taking a powerhead and shooting water into the effluent (discharge side) of the pump. Make sure the powerhead discharge is forced to enter the pipe with your hand. Air bubbles should appear in your sump. When water starts shooting into your sump stop the powerhead and plug in the external pump.

crox

Originally Posted by fishnerd
Try taking a powerhead and shooting water into the effluent (discharge side) of the pump. Make sure the powerhead discharge is forced to enter the pipe with your hand. Air bubbles should appear in your sump. When water starts shooting into your sump stop the powerhead and plug in the external pump.

I whish it was this easy. I have 4 discharges.

fishnerd

I believe we are making this more complicated than it actually is.
You need to fill the pipe(s) between the sump and the pump with water before plugging in.

Try several different methods, just remember the above statement. The pump cannot pump air, it needs to be prefilled with water in order to work.
If you submit photos we will tell you a sure fire method.