Help! Baby Seahorses this Morning!!!

blanchelola

I just awoke to find 6 baby seahorses in my tank. They are in a 30 gallon eclipse system with five adults, peppermint shrimp, a bangaii cardinal and hermits. I want to do everything I can to try and get them big and healthy. What should I do to protect and feed them? If you have any ideas, please help. Local fish store opens in 2 hours. Thanks in advance for your help.

javajoe

get 'em in quarantine right away-- even if its a bucket with water , air, etc. untill you can get a breeder tank to put in the maintank. dont want them to become food. :)

jonthefb

you, unfortunately need to start hatching brine shrimp, or feed them live zoo and phytoplankton, as a baby seahorse floats near the surface of the ocean in a heavy layer of plankton where they eat and eat until they get big enough. Definately isolate them as mentioned before or your other fish will eat them. They must be fed newly hatched brine shrimp that still have their yolk sac attatched as this is where they get a lot of protein from. You also need to enrich the brine with a vitamin formula such as zoe or selcon. They eat like pigs, as this is all they do for their first weeks as juveniles, and most die because of lack of food. I would leave tehm for now, and read up about culturing seahorse that way when they have babies again you will be better prepared to raise them!
good luck!
jon

blanchelola

Just an update: Made it through the night in a breeding net in the parent's tank. They are eating baby brine shrimp that I'm adding vitamins too...and yes, they do eat don't they!?! We're keeping our fingers crossed but so far so good. Mom and dad are "at it" again this morning...

jonthefb

wow thats great to hear. Keep up the good work, and before oyu know it youll have more horses.
jon