Help! Baby Seahorses this Morning!!!

blanchelola

I just awoke to find 6 baby seahorses in my 30 gallon eclipse! They are in there with 5 adults, a bangaii cardinal, peppermint shrimp and hermits. What can I do to protect and feed them? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Local fish store opens in 2 hours. Thanks in advance for your help.

S

staticx1134

Congrats! LOL your a mom (or dad) is it hard to keep sea horses with fish? i heard that they should be in a species tank......:D
Eddie

madd catt

With pipefish you can but...seperate them with a divider or small acclimation tank within the tank because it is probable that the male seahorse may infact eat them.

musipilot

Congrats on your new arrivals. Actually, you don't have to worry about feeding them, its quite easy. Go out and grab one of the brine shrimp hatching kits that they sell in the LFS. They come with a plastic base, and eggs. You will need a 2 liter soda bottle and a small airpump. In about 24 hours you'll have tiny brine shrimp all over the place, which is their favorite food. The brine shrimp babies also have the benefit of being so numerous and so small that the baby horses will have no problem getting some even with other fish in the tank. Keep us posted!

blanchelola

Update: So far so good...they made it through the night in a breeder net in the parent's tank. They are eating baby brine shrimp that I've added vitamins to and so far so good...we're keeping our fingers crossed. The parents are "at it" again this morning!!!

jeff33436

Hope the babies are still doing well. My horse had babies about 2 weeks ago and all I have left is one survivor. For excellent advice, go to www.seahorse.org. The parents will not eat their young, but other fish might. They will eat baby brine. Don't want to bum you out, but from my experience and what I have read, it is very hard to keep the babies alive very long. But is very fun and rewarding trying! Good luck.

blanchelola

We are at day 6 with no losses so far...knock on wood. They are in a breeder net in the parent's tank, eating baby brine 3 times a day and hitching on a piece of string. I've been "feeding" the brine shrimp after they get 24 hours old with Vibrance and I've also started to drop a tsp of phytoplankton into the tank every other day. Water change sheduled for tomorrow. Thanks for those of you who've been interested in the happenings here. With luck I'll have more good news soon.