help! bubble been eaten alive

tanis97

:scared: :scared: :help: :help: :mad:
I've found few baby shrimp like bug inside my bubble. I was wondering why my bubble coral have been getting worst everyday and now I know why. somehow these "baby shrimp" like bug have been slowly eating away my bubble, they somehow drill a hole into the bubble and is living off from my bubble. these bugs is transparent and is molting. yesterday i took the bubble out and rinse with tap water, they must be half a dozen found and flushed. this morning when i turn on the lights there must have been a few more living off my bubble. does any know what these are call and how do i get rid of them?

schneidts

From your description, they sound like amphipods to me. Pods are an essential part of your clean up crew. Do a search on "pods" or "amphipods" in this forum and you'll find lot's of info and some pics. I don't think they are killing your coral. Do you feed the coral? They might just be trying to eat it's leftovers. How long have you had the coral and what kind of lighting do you have?

birdy

Sounds like pods, they only eat dead or dieing tissue, so your bubble was either dieing or they were just cleaning off the dead tissue that all corals have, you should not rinse any coral off in tap water, if you must do a freshwater dip then use RO/DI water that is the same temp and pH as your display tank. The pods are good for your tank, more than likely the bubble was having problems and the pods are just doing their job.

tanis97

i have the bubble for about 3 months now, it have been getting worst as there are less bubbles forming. i have 2x96watt pc light, 1 10,000K Daylight Bulb and 1 Dual Actinic Bulb. there is a section of my bubble that is completely gone and those pods is living there, i suspect there is a hole leading into the section, it wasn't there before.

S

sebae0

becareful on the size of the shrimp you use to feed it, i did that to mine with a piece to big and killed part of mine. now i only hit it with mysis or krill.