Help building a refigum

beanie

OK heres what I would like to end up with... a side tank full of plants, brine shrimp/ ghost shrimp, snails hermits and pods. do i need a sand bed? what kind of light, filters? and how do I get my main tank to pump into this smaller tank and then pumped back into my main tank... I have never seen one of these. but would like to raise shrimp in a side tank. Everyone I know doesnt have a refigum, so Im basically learning from the start. please advise, the refigum is going to be either 10-20 gallons...
thanks I appriciate it

beanie

so a sump is the same thing? if i did a search on here for sumps I would find some info??? and the refigum has to be below the tank? and then I just fill it with plants? and it will take care of its self?

luvnluk

sorry if this is dumb, but, how do you pump the water back into the main tank at exactly the same rate as it flows into the refugium?

beanie

ok DvSkin got me confused... a sump has deviders? and a refigum does not? sorry if im not fallowing. but a refigum should only have sand water and plants?

beanie

so how do u put an overflow box on a tank not set up for one. i worry it would over flow some place else and spill on my floor?

beanie

Could I have a refigum thats justy for raising ghost shrimp/ brine and pods. and not have it pumping into my main tank?

beanie

ah, thanks. I will keep that in mind. I just bought some ghost shrimp today... they are fresh water arnt they??? is there an easy way to raise these cuss i paid $1.00 for 4 of them and that seems outragous..

fellow

you could do it seperate, but it wouldn't be a refugium, it would be another tank.
You have to gravity feed it back to the main tank because you will kill alot of the things you grew in the refuge...ie.Coepods and worms.
Look up refugium plans on the web...there are tons of plans to help.
-fellow-