Help catching Damsel

ncabw

Ive had my reef tank set up now for 6 months. It's a 125 gallon plus sump setup. The problem i'm having is i think one of my original damsels is attacking the new fish i have put into the tank. I have lost 4 fish in the last 2 months. The original 4 fish i bought earlier are having no problems just the new ones. I've tried a net but that was pretty much useless. Any suggestions would be great since my lfs has some nice fish comming in this week. Thanks.

chankanaab

Originally Posted by ncabw
Ive had my reef tank set up now for 6 months. It's a 125 gallon plus sump setup. The problem i'm having is i think one of my original damsels is attacking the new fish i have put into the tank. I have lost 4 fish in the last 2 months. The original 4 fish i bought earlier are having no problems just the new ones. I've tried a net but that was pretty much useless. Any suggestions would be great since my lfs has some nice fish comming in this week. Thanks.
I had to take all my LR and corals out. Even after that it took me like 30min to catch him. Never again will I put a damsel in my tank. Good Luck

sprang

Heres how! Turn off all powerheads and skimmer, filters. Drop some food in your tank and nab him up with a big net. They are too stupid to turn a away food to avoid the capture. If I were closer I could net him in seconds flat! Done it many times in my younger days haha!

gmford1979

i am not only a member, but the president of the "No Damsels" fan club.
i had the same problem. lost around $300 in fish before i realized it was the damsel. the bottle method never would work for me. i did catch some crabs though. the netting never worked either. they do make fish traps. you can either try those, take all your stuff out, or do what i did. i went fishing.
i got some very small fly fishing leader line. and a VERY small fly fishing hook. it has to all be small because if they see it, they aren't going to go for it. bait it with some shrimp and then place it in the tank. you have to be really careful as you can catch other fish if your not careful. but this method does work. just be patient.

ncabw

Thanks i will try some of these methods tonight. I used the Damsel's to cycle my tank. I am new to the saltwater world and was told that was how you did it. I didn't know i would be growing up these serial killers. I should have loved them more. lol.