Help controlling my algae problem...it has gotten out of control!!!!

asharp13

I have a 24g Aquapod and have had it for about 5 months. Over the last month, I have seen a ridiculous amount of algae growing on my live rock. The brown algae covering the sand bed doesn't bother me at all because I can control it by filtering my gravel when doing routine water changes (20%/week ; 100%/mth). however, the algae growing on my rock is a thicker moss that is starting to strangle my tank, rock, and most importantly, CORALS!!!
Anyways, i need help:
1. How can i clean the algae off the rock to combat its growth?
2. Should i slowly replace the old rock with new rock, hence, disposing of all the rock the algae has taken over...if so, what to do with corals?
3. Are there any products/filter media i should try to get rid of this stuff?
i have posted pictures below so you can get an idea. the primary problem algae spans from the duncan to the zoos and is impeeding on both of them. soon it will engulf my candy canes on the bottom tier of my tank.
please help me with any articles or ideas i should try THX!!!

carlos413

Originally Posted by asharp13
http:///forum/post/3097607
I have a 24g Aquapod and have had it for about 5 months. Over the last month, I have seen a ridiculous amount of algae growing on my live rock. The brown algae covering the sand bed doesn't bother me at all because I can control it by filtering my gravel when doing routine water changes (20%/week ; 100%/mth). however, the algae growing on my rock is a thicker moss that is starting to strangle my tank, rock, and most importantly, CORALS!!!
Anyways, i need help:
1. How can i clean the algae off the rock to combat its growth?
2. Should i slowly replace the old rock with new rock, hence, disposing of all the rock the algae has taken over...if so, what to do with corals?
3. Are there any products/filter media i should try to get rid of this stuff?
i have posted pictures below so you can get an idea. the primary problem algae spans from the duncan to the zoos and is impeeding on both of them. soon it will engulf my candy canes on the bottom tier of my tank.
please help me with any articles or ideas i should try THX!!!

It could be a combination of things. Over feeding, to lighting an to long, over crowded tanks, slacking on water changes. Also water sorce my have high amounts of phosphates and trates.
Hope this helps good luck!

gio28

i once had a pretty bad algae bloom too. chemi pure elite will help a little bit maybe with phosphate removal. it just has to run its course. mine disappeared all of a sudden and my tank is algae free now. when i clean my rock that gets an occasional spot of algae i use a metal brush that is the same shape as a toothbrush. i heard that using a normal toothbrush and gently scrubbing the corals may help...but im not sure about this. im sure someone with more experience will have better advice.
also cut back on lighting as much as you can.

dnraiders

i had more algea than that last week
cut back to 6hrs a day on lighting
water changes
manually remove as much as you can
feed less
get a sea hare
more snails
better water source

king_neptune

All of the above. Think about a scrubber. And add some algae eating inverts.Also consider getting a $60 phos/carbon reactor from bulk reef supply. Great reactors and easy to setup. Very cheap considering what they do. Can be powered by a cheap maxijet 1200

dnraiders

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3097623
All of the above. Think about a scrubber. And add some algae eating inverts.Also consider getting a $60 phos/carbon reactor from bulk reef supply. Great reactors and easy to setup. Very cheap considering what they do. Can be powered by a cheap maxijet 1200
a reactor wouldnt really be necessary due to the size of the tank...
you just have to keep up with maintenence.
dont use tap water

king_neptune

ya. but it is an option that is relitivly cheap in comparison to what they do. just throwing some ideas out there.
Personally Id get myself some emerald crabs. Probably 3. Then as the problem subsides, eliminate one, and if needed the second.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/

asharp13

thx everybody ouve been a huge help...i'll see what i can do and il report back in a week or so.
appreciate the help!!!!!! and i love this forum!!!!!!

asharp13

my plan is to add a mini refugium to the back compartment of my nano. i installed the baffles tonight and will continue with live sand, rock, and chaeto within the next couple days. i will run the fuge on a 24 hour cycle for the first couple weeks to fight algae in the tank for phosphates and switch to an opposite 12hr cycle. i purchased a nanoglo to service the refugium. i did a water change today and sucked out a lot of the algae with a scrubber brush. i will continue to do that every water change. i plan on replacing my lights within the comming weeks to remove the yellowish light that may be commin from my semi aged bulbs. along with lighter feeding hopefully the problem will subside within the comming weeks. leep your fingers crossed for me hahaha!!
thx again for all of your help swf community!!!

king_neptune

excellent choice. also consider an emerald crab or two. they are voracious algae eaters. and as long as there is plenty of algae to go around they are docile. they typically only get aggressive when there is little algae left, and they are hungry.
and a 7bucks a peice...you cant go wrong.

asharp13

hey SWF I'm back again.
So i still have an enormously bad algae problem. i have been doing 25% water changes weekly along with scrubbing the rocks everytime. i have added a refugium to the back of my tank and ran the lights 24/7 for a month and switched to 12hr opposite cycle laste week. the green hair algae has not gone away. i have added snails, hermits, and emeralds, and they havent done a thing. i cut back on feedings and have been using purple up. i cannot get this problem to subside. where i thought i had it under control and it was getting better, within the last week ive realized that it is still a major issue. every water change i have to clean algae off the feet of my corals and am getting very frusturated.
does anyone have any ideas on how to battle this problem.
also, ive been thinking of killing the lights and ambient light from the tank with dark paper for a couple days. will this help? should i run the fuge lighting 24/7? most importantly, will this harm my corals???
i need help let me know PLEASE!!!!! im getting frusturated...thx

gregzbobo

What sort of water are you using to mix your water for waterchanges? What are you using for top-offs? If its tapwater, you are likely introducing loads of phosphates. If thats the case, use distilled water from the grocery store, or look into getting RO/DI water from your LFS if the price is right, or even getting your own RO/DI unit. Cleanup critters will eat the stuff, but if you keep adding phosphates from too much food/tapwater, the problem will likely stay.

posiden

Now this is JMO on this. I would build a cheap, ugly, getto scrubber and place it above the tank on a shelf or whatever. Get a small pump to feed it and let it gravity return to the tank. It worked for me. I have a pair of harlequins in my 29 Bio Cube and two fish and corals. The harlequins are not exactly clean eaters. The scrubber doesn't have to be perminet and can be shut down whenever.
Do with my info what you will. This is just my opinion.
Also a lights out period for three days will be no problem. Just don't do it any more than once a month IMO.

asharp13

the phosphate load is why this problem started. i was using tap water for toppoffs for a considerable amount of time but have been purchasing FW for topoffs and saltwater from my LFS. i dont believe that it is a problem anymore...but i did some damage early in the tanks life. any mor suggestions?

gregzbobo

Originally Posted by asharp13
http:///forum/post/3126199
the phosphate load is why this problem started. i was using tap water for toppoffs for a considerable amount of time but have been purchasing FW for topoffs and saltwater from my LFS. i dont believe that it is a problem anymore...but i did some damage early in the tanks life. any mor suggestions?
Bad thing is I notice you seem to have a fair bit of sand in your tank. The phosphate from before would tend to accumulate in the sand, and everytime the sandbed is disturbed, phosphate is released into the tank. This'll sound drastic, but you may try removing at least half that sand and replacing it along with at least a 50% water change at the same time.
Like I said, sounds drastic.

asharp13

Alright I'll give it a shot!!! Thx for the help! I'll report back in a week and along with the sand replacement I'm gonna keep the lights off for two days and not feed anything.
Do u have any reccomendations on the refugium lighting??? Should I keep it on 24/7 while my DT lights are off??? Also, should I leave the blue LED moonlights on or should I kill those as well??

asharp13

Also, can anyone fill me in on the exact type of algae I'm dealing with...like an exact name so I can jump on google n see what the www has to offer??
Also, greg, it was my understanding that many essential nutrients and beneficial bacteria are held in the sand bed. Will removing a lot of that disrupt my tank???

tax lady

Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/3126196
Now this is JMO on this. I would build a cheap, ugly, getto scrubber and place it above the tank on a shelf or whatever. Get a small pump to feed it and let it gravity return to the tank. It worked for me. I have a pair of harlequins in my 29 Bio Cube and two fish and corals. The harlequins are not exactly clean eaters. The scrubber doesn't have to be perminet and can be shut down whenever.
Do with my info what you will. This is just my opinion.
Also a lights out period for three days will be no problem. Just don't do it any more than once a month IMO.
Hey Posiden, what is a cheap, ugly getto scrubber?