Help!!! Corallife Protien skimmer BUBBLIN CRAZY

wpayton34

My protien skimmer is bubbling out of control inside of my tank. I think its called a bubble difuser?? not sure but it seems not to be difusing my bubbles when it puts the skimmed water back into the tank. Any sugestions it is a corlife super skimmer. I used to do it w hen the tank was slow on water. the water level is fine

veni vidi vici

i have the CoralifeSS 125 and i had same problem.This is how i fixed it.Make sure the return hose is atleast 1" off the white filterpad in bottom.Make sure the return flow box is as close to the water as possible (i think they recomend 1/4" or less) and then i pulled up the black sponge bubble diffuser up out of the return box.And finaly i built a sump/fuge .

wpayton34

ya its kinda wierd i had this thing for a while and now it starting doing it. Its how it shold be in the difuser thats what puzzles me.

o2ngk

Originally Posted by wpayton34
My protien skimmer is bubbling out of control inside of my tank. I think its called a bubble difuser?? not sure but it seems not to be difusing my bubbles when it puts the skimmed water back into the tank. Any sugestions it is a corlife super skimmer. I used to do it w hen the tank was slow on water. the water level is fine
If it works and all of suden bubbling out of control is usually because of chemical reaction. Have you add any kind of medication or anything to the tank recently? If yes, please turn off your skimmer and use carbon to clear the medication for about 48 - 72 hours. The turn back on your skimmer to see if it works normal again.

butters

ive also been messing with mine
i tried running PVC pipe to a HOB AC 300 filter, but the flow is just too much for the 300. the water flows out of the filter too fast for all the bubbles to rise to the top. it does get rid of ALOT of the bubbles, but the water level in the filter is to close to the top for comfert.
so i went back to the big ole diffuser till i figure something out.
in the diffuser i have it like this
(Bottom to top)
blue/white filter floss
tan AC 300 filter sponge
SS black sponge with hole in center
ive got the boc about 1/8in below the waterline, the SS filter about half in out of the water. and the flex pipe just barely going into the hole in the sponge.
this lets most of the bubbles rise to the top and escape, but the few that get out annoy me.
im thinking about making my own HOB fuge out of accrylic, and using the SS to pump water into it...

dawman

I did a similar mod to my ss 65 . mine is in my sump and connected pvc elbow and piped the skimmed water to the filter section of my sump . On my ss220 I don`t have any bubbles .