help deciding between angelfish!!!

brolik1

IM having a tough time deciding which dwarf angelfish to buy.I have a 29 gallon with30pounds of LR,40 pounds of LS, 4 hawaiin feather dusters,2 dwarf dusters,2 CBS, 1 small and 1 large emerald crab and 1 alage blennie.I know you have take caution in reef tanks,but I dont have corals or anemones and dont plan on getting either.Im deciding on a pygmy,coral beauty,bi color,or a flame dwarf angelfish if you guys just give me your opinion on which is best suitable,looks better, and wont eat my feather dusters in my tank.

ithorian_r

i would avoid bicolors....notorious for bad health. i have kept a pygmy before and i have a flame right now. i loved the pygmy, very active, curious. great way to add purple to a tank. but my flame angel is my favorite. mine is almost all deep red, hardly any yellow. it is a beautiful fish that is active, peaceful and hardy. i have never kept a coral beauty but i recommend either the pygmy or flame!

chipmaker

I have a cherub angle in my one tank.........always on the move but it does fine with the rest of the inhabitants, except for the firefish, which it likes to intimidate on occassion...

aquageek

They are all unpredictable. Flames are gorgeous! CB i don't find to be as attractive although some of the deep purple color morphs are very nice. I have seen 2 people keep lemonpeels in reef tanks with good luck and then 1 that had poor luck.

meadbhb

Hiya,
If you have feather dusters, I wouldn't recommend the CB. I love them, but it harassed my feather until it left it's tube.
Though, you got to keep in mind, every fish is going to have it's own little perks.
Meadbhb

fishmamma

I have a pygmy in my 29 gallon and love it. Like the others have said above, always swimming about and somewhat playful when I tank watch.

brolik1

So basically pygmys and flame angels are my best luck with feather dusters in my tank.I love a fish with personality just like my algae blennie you never know what he will do next.
Will they eat frozen food such as spirulina brine shrimp,mysis shrimp,and cyclopeeze flakes?
My blennie doesnt eat except for nipping at the rock every 5 minutes or so.I tried alage mats but he wont go after it.should I just leave him be? :help:

jonny bolt

My Angel loves frozen food...I feed it Emerald Entree every other day. On other days I feed it Marine Marine S pellets and or Formula 2 pellets. It prefers the Emerald Entree and the Marine S. It will also eat live brine shrimp.

fishmamma

How long have you had your algae blenny? Unfortunatly many starve in our tanks because they never take to prepared food, so once they have depleted the lagae on the live rock they slowly starve to death. Keep trying different foods and hopefully the litle guy will take to something. I have heard many say Nori and Sea Veggies are popular with them but mine wouldn't take either of them.
As far as the duster I think it will depend on the individual fish. I do know that pygmys are one of the only angels to be considered reef safe and mine doesn't bother the few zoo and mushroom polyps in it's tank. No first hand experience with dusters though.......IMO chances are either would be fine with dusters. As for feeding they will eat a variety of frozen foods that you mentioned above but a good portion of their diet needs to consist of greens. Veggie flakes, Nori or frozen Formula Two are some things to feed the angel daily along with the meaty foods.
Good luck with what ever you decide, keep us posted!!

jonny bolt

Forgot to mention, but you probably may already know, the angel eats throughout the day N night constantly picking from the rocks, glass, etc.

brolik1

So im going to have both angelfish and blennie pick at rocks,geeze they are going to starve.Im going to try to feed it the sea veggies but if that dont work I dont know what would.What is a good food to feed angelfish?Ill keep you guys posted about my blennie.

fishmamma

My angel will eat just about anything I drop in the tank but in addition to the grazing it does feed it some other type of green based food like Sea Veggies, or Formula Two. They can develope some health problems if not given enough greenery but enjoy and need some meaty foods too. I don't scrape the back and side walls of my tank so my algae eating fish can nibble on these all day long. Sometimes I will add a little Selcon to the water and I leave the lights on a little longer than necessary to promote algae growth.....crazy to some I know but my fish are happy and healthy.

guineawhop

i'd go for the pygmy aka cherub they are constantly moving, never afraid, and if you wanted you could add more than one as long as there is only 1 male. also my cherub is in with some feather dusters, sponges, polyps and hasn't touched any of them.