Help deciding on first fish after cycle

a&m '96

I've got my first tank (65 FO w/cannister and skimmer) just now finishing up the cycle w/2 damsels. I'm having trouble deciding on what to put in. I really like triggers, but may I avoid getting one because of what I've heard here. I've got some confidence in my ability to keep the water pretty clean, because I used to have FW tanks. I'm not sure if I should do aggressive, for ease of maintenence, or community, for more fish in a mid-sized tank. Thanks in advance!!!

a&m '96

There is no live rock (takes up too much room for a fish-only 65) or live sand in this setup- just coral skeletons.

flydan

Hey,
With no lr or dsb I wouldn't get any messy eaters that leave left over food floating around. I would check the eating habits of a variety of fish. For instance, you would NOT want a Mandarine or 6-Line Wrasse or Lawnmower Blennie as they eat stuff off lr and copepods. A nice tang would be cool but you tank size is going to cramp one tang.
Sorry I wasn't much help. You might also let us know if you are going to keep the blue devils or trade them in.
Dan'l

mr.marine

what do you have on the bottom of your tank?????? you need a place for bacteria to grow!!!!!! i have a 40 gallon and theres NEVER too little room for LR. even in a 20 gallon. i personally have over 30 pounds and plan on getting prob 5 more. i have crushed coral with some sand. you really need some stuff! :( n e 1 else agree?

Not for nothin' but the best way to set up a tank is with l/s and l/r...you be beneficial to both...even if you have mechanical filtration and some may argue with me...but I still prefer the l/r and l/s....

flamehawk

Would strongly recommend you get some l/r, at least 40-50lbs. worth. It's great in keeping the tank well balanced and looks more natural. You will need to re-cycle tank once you add the l/r. Depending on how cured it is, this can take as little as two weeks or up to 6 weeks. Sorry I couldn't br of more help to you.

a&m '96

I should have described the tank better- sorry. The tank does have substrate, about 40 lbs of crushed coral. I've got a red sea skimmer, Eheim Pro II cannister, and one powerhead. For decor, I've got several coral skeletons. I've been told several times that LR is not absolutely necessary for a FO tank, and fish of appropriate size do fine with proper care. Any suggestions on the fish types (from the list in my first post)?

a&m '96

Sorry- there's no actual list, per say. I'm just trying to decide between aggressive and community. Thanks!!

I have a 125 with coral skeletons as well. I have wet dry for a 150 gal on there. I have two 1140 power heads and a Penguin 330 on there also. I have about 40 pounds of crushed coral and sand mix. I have a 7 inch French angel, a 5 inch Blueface angel, a 5 inch Asfur angel, a 6 inch Blonde Naso, and two eels. They get along very well and there is no problems with my levels. The wet dry and 330 provide plenty of bacteria to cycle pollution. If I was you, I would basically get about half of the fish (inches that I have. I am maxed out even though I probably will push it even more (gotta get one more fish). Live rock is not a must. I do believe that it is better than skeletons just for the bacteria factor. I would get a bio wheel or wet dry (or both) to compensate. So limit your self to about 15 inches of fish max. I would stay from tangs and Angels because they lots of room. OK maybe one Angel but make sure it is one of the hardy ones, like a 3 inch Queen Angel. In your tank you can only have one. No groupers either, they get big as hell. Try a trigger and angel. Good Luck.

aquarius

If you really want a trigger go with one of the more peaceful species like a Niger or Picasso. People will tell you that Niger's can be mean and that triggers shouldn't be kept in small tanks and things like that. I have a Niger with a coral beauty and two damsels all in a 40 gallon. All is well and everybody is fine. People will also tell you that you need live rock and ls etc. Although it will make for better filtration, it is not imperative that you have it. I use dead corals, crushed coral, and plastic plants for my tank and still it is all working out. Just make sure if you go that route that you carefully monitor water conditons and don't overcrowd. So it really all depends on the fish and if you get a trigger just get him small like the size of a quater so that he can grow. And if he gets to big in the future then bring him back to the store. Good Luck!