Help! Desparate for Info

polka

Okay all you gurus I'm in trouble. First the basics: 38 gal f/o, u/g filter, seaclone p/s, skilter filter. I have 1 clown, 1 fijgi devil, 1 spotted hawk, 1 royal gramma. Problem: Fijgi devil started picking on royal approx 10 days ago, lfs said move coral around and turn off light to calm everyone down. Okay, yesterday and today royal won't eat, only hides, also looks as if it has a bruise or injury on right side (the spot is either white or the purple has left somehow). What should I do? Devil keeps picking on him as well as the hawkfish. Should I keep the devil, get rid of devil and royal or what. Help! Thank you for your input. I feel awful about this fight they had and I really want a peacful tank.

porkypuffer

SOUNDS LIKE THE FIJGI DEVIL IS CAUSING ALL OF THE TROUBLE. I THINK THE SIMPLEST SOLUTION IS TO TAKE THE DEVIL TO THE LFS FOR A TRADE, THAT'S WHAT I DID WITH A YELLOW TANG THAT WAS AGGRESSIVE.

mainejo1

I agree with Porkypuffer. I had to do a swap, and I know if I hadn't done it when I did, the "pickee" would have died.

clayton

Provide as many hiding spaces as you can. Hopefully the fish will settle down some although they may always squabble as they see view each other as competitors.

polka

What is wet/dry filter and how involved would it be to switch over? Do I have to start my tank over? What would I do with the friends I have now? When you say better, what are you referring to?

porkypuffer

MOST PEOPLE IN THIS HOBBIE SHY AWAY FROM AN U/G FILTER BECAUSE OF THE DEBIS THAT ACCUMULATES UNDER IT. THEY SAY A WET/DRY IS THE BEST, BUT I LOOKED UNDER A TANK AT MY LFS AND WASN'T IMPRESSED WITH THE MESS THE WET/DRY CAUSED. I USE A CANISTER FILTER. WHAT EVER FILTER SYSTEM YOU CHANGE TO YOU DON'T HAVE TO START OVER, JUST INSTALL IT AND TURN IT ON, BUT IF YOU DO DECIDE TO CHANGE FILTER SYSTEMS, LEAVE THE U/G FOR 3 TO 4 WEEKS TILL THE NEW FILTER BUILDS THE BACTERIA.

dennish

I dont have a U/G filter but from some of the things I've read, you can avoid the mess buildup in the gravel bed by setting it up as a Reverse Flow Under Gravel Filter, using a power head to pump the water down under the filterbed and then up through the bacteria covered gravel, this also stirs the detris up so I would think you would also need some sort of mechanical filter to clean that out of the water. If some one uses this method they could explain this much better I'm sure.

polka

Okay I will be looking into the wet/dry deal. In the mean time my royal now seems as if he has lost his scales all up and down the right side, very lethargic, seems to have a problem breathing. I have moved him out of my tank, into something smaller. Is he doomed? I read in the disease area, but didn't find anything that resembles what I think is wrong. Basically I believe he got hurt fighting with Fijgi Devil. Can a fish injure another that badly to loose scales? I really have no clue what to do for this little guy.

kris

Yes, he's probably doomed. And yes you can blame the devil. I have tried the reverse flow method with the ug and didn't think it was such a great idea and went back to normal but with much more powerful powerheads.

polka

Sadly to say my Royal has gone to a better more pieceful place. I am returning f.devil to lfs today and getting a yellow tang. I want to thank everyone for all of there input. As far as the ug goes, I will wait and see what develops. LFS says approx $350. will do for new filter system. A little more than I care to spend at this time. Thanks again for all of your help, as I have said in the past, This is the best place for info!