Help dwarf seahorse stuck at birth

streamer

the ppl that I was referring to don't let their seahorses go until they are eating frozen Mysis, which for me is not a problem as I make my own food for the fish and Mysis is one of the main ingredients..:)

flower

the ppl that I was referring to don't let their seahorses go until they are eating frozen Mysis, which for me is not a problem as I make my own food for the fish and Mysis is one of the main ingredients..:)
Dwarf seahorses can never eat frozen Mysis, they ONLY eat newly hatched baby brine shrimp. I don't know what type of seahorse your ppl have, because if they are eating frozen mysis, it isn't dwarfs. Second, you don't make your own food for seahorses, just frozen Mysis. I even lost a potbelly seahorse once because I changed the brand of frozen Mysis... so you can't go changing anything you feed them.

Getting seahorses that eat frozen Mysis is great, just don't change anything, feed them what they are used to. Also find out what type of seahorse they are, so you know what you are getting. They are not dwarfs from what you are telling me.

streamer

I don't think that I made myself clear, I make my food for my fish, I know what I am feeding them and for the seahorses, they are erectus, sorry for any confusion..

flower

I don't think that I made myself clear, I make my food for my fish, I know what I am feeding them and for the seahorses, they are erectus, sorry for any confusion..
LOL...all this time I thought you wanted dwarf seahorses. Erectus are nice horses, and pretty hardy.

streamer

no, with being new to seahorses, I want the hardiest that I can get...how did you make out, did the baby come out ok and is dad doing well..

flower

no, with being new to seahorses, I want the hardiest that I can get...how did you make out, did the baby come out ok and is dad doing well..
Hi,

I'm not the person that originally posted. I have kept Erectus, Kuda and Potbelly seahorses for years, but never bred them. The original poster lost the horse, and we haven't heard anything since.

I can help you on how to set up your tank. I have a concern with your saying you want to mix your own food using mysis as a base ingredient. Seahorses by nature only eat live food. The captive bred horses that eat frozen are the survivors, the breeders lose many babies when they try and change them over to frozen food. That's why you making your own food with a mix of Mysis won't work. Seahorses are so picky about food, that it's even dangerous to change brands. With regular SW fish, mixing your own food is a plus, but not with seahorses.

Seed your tank with amphipods, they love them, and will happily spend the day hunting them down for a very healthy treat.

streamer

good morning and thank you, I have 2 existing tanks now, a 125 gal fowlr and a 75 gal mixed reef, the seahorses will be my 3rd tank... I make my food for my fish, the person that I am getting my ponies from has been breeding them for quite sometime now and she has graciously offered to be my mentor when it comes to setting up the tank properly and taking care of the ponies..as a bonus, she lives very close to me...
I have no intentions of EVER breeding them and I agree that the success rate is horrible.. that's why I will be going with all males..
I only buy Haurki (sp?) Mysis and brine shrimp.
hope this helps to clear up some of the confussion...
thank you for the offer to help, I am sure that there will be questions down the road that I will be asking...

flower

good morning and thank you, I have 2 existing tanks now, a 125 gal fowlr and a 75 gal mixed reef, the seahorses will be my 3rd tank... I make my food for my fish, the person that I am getting my ponies from has been breeding them for quite sometime now and she has graciously offered to be my mentor when it comes to setting up the tank properly and taking care of the ponies..as a bonus, she lives very close to me...
I have no intentions of EVER breeding them and I agree that the success rate is horrible.. that's why I will be going with all males..
I only buy Haurki (sp?) Mysis and brine shrimp.
hope this helps to clear up some of the confussion...
thank you for the offer to help, I am sure that there will be questions down the road that I will be asking...
Hi,

Awesome, I know you said you had friends to help you, I always offer my help anyway.

Haurki is the brand I used, it seemed "cleaner" than the other brands. However my store sometimes were out of it, so I started purchasing another brand, all the horses but one pot was eating. I assumed there was something wrong with the horse, and did the try to help him thing (quarantine and such all to no avail). It was later that somebody mentioned the change of food. The others had no problem, so I assumed it was something else that caused the pot to quit eating... he would act like he would eat, going after the food, but then would turn his head away. Poor thing starved, and I had no idea it was just the change in brand. Lesson learned, so I pass it on.

Harry135

Help!!! I have a pregnant dwarf seahorse that isn’t able to give birth I’ve read the other things on this forum but mine situation is a little different you can see something coming out of the “pouch” but it’s red he’s been trying to push it out for about a hour and a half now any ideas of what I should do
113D6C85-D5EE-457D-B17F-72A32C1AF0B5.jpeg