Help fish for 20 gallon tank

ladyemt

:help: Hi, I am new to this and I need help. I have just set up a 20 gallon tank, and I need help in finding fish. I want a blue tang to put in it. Does any one know if a 20 gallon would work and if not what kind of fish would work for it. Thank you so much. :joy:

mudplayerx

Tangs really need 55 gallon tanks in the least for them to truely feel happy. If I were you I'd look into some PJ Cardinals or some Cromis.

ladyemt

I was just reading all the forums after i did a search, and found that tangs are not going to work. Guess i will have to save up for that bigger tank. So other then damsils, what would you suggest for a tank my size? I am looking more for color. It was a fresh water tank but i could never find the fish i liked, so off to try a saltwater.

mr_bill

If there is nothing in the 20 now, you could save it for a sump/refugium for your bigger tank that you want. If you want to use it now, I would look at blennies and maybe a couple Damsels.

ladyemt

I just set up the tank yesterday and I have awhile to figure out what i want in it. Also I have one filter should I think of adding another or should one do the trick? What about bubbles?

gfk

in my 20 i have 2 percula clowns, and i plan to get maybe a yellow watchman gobie or a diamond sleeper goby or something later.
my two clowns seem very happy right now, and i have some xenias, a hammer, some mushrooms and a featherduster. you can do a lot with a 20 just make sure you get small fish
id stay at 3 tiny fish AT the most. but 2 is a good amount to keep things under control

ladyemt

Thanks so much I will keep up with my research, if you have any other suggestions feel free to let me know. :happy:

snipe

Im not sure. I personally like the clown gobie's there only around an inch long and they are really pretty! You might look at shrimp gobie's. When housed with a pistol shrimp they will live in the same hole.

ladyemt

I think I finally have my list together, got to have a clown fish, a midas blenny, of course a damsil a yellow watchman goby and a blue reef chromis. Then once I get that together, off for a bigger tank. I have to get my Blue tang some time.

snipe

They feel better in schools of odd #'s 3 or more 5 would be better and that is out of the ? IMO. And most damsles are to big for that tank most damsles need 30 gallons or bigger. I would only suggest 3 fish.

ladyemt

I don't even have any fish in my 20 gallon and already I am addicted. I am already looking for a bigger tank so I can get my tang. I have my fish picked out already for my 20 gallon. :jumping: The waiting is the hard part I would say. Has anyone used fish food to cycle thier tanks? I have been reading all day and I don't want to use chromis or damsils.

gfk

Originally Posted by Ladyemt
I think I finally have my list together, got to have a clown fish, a midas blenny, of course a damsil a yellow watchman goby and a blue reef chromis. Then once I get that together, off for a bigger tank. I have to get my Blue tang some time.

thats too many, you want 3 fish at the most in a 20 gallon. i have 2 and get diatoms a lot on my sand

zephyrlily

Originally Posted by Ladyemt
Has anyone used fish food to cycle thier tanks?
Go to your local supermarket and get one raw frozen shrimp, peel it, toss it in the tank and let it decompose. That will help start your nitrogen cycle.