HELP -- FISH PROBLEM

firefishguy45

I have a 25 gal reef with plenty of rock-work that is about 1 year old. The first fish I purchased was a small purple firefish. He is usually very social and eats any food I put in the aquarium. He hasn't eaten for the last few days and tonight I reached in to check on him and he didn't move much. He is still alive, breathing slowly, and has good coloration. He isn't swimming freely and he is having problems staying upright.
any ideas
Tank conditions:
NH4 - 0.0
N02 - 0.0
N03 - ~5.0
salinity - 1.022

pufferlover

I had 2 purples in a tank of their own and they did fine for months then one day they both just seemed as if they could not keep their positions. Moved them to another tank but lost them. Firefish are very delicate in my mind and it is often hard to get a good one or pair. Had another pair of regular Firefish in my reef they lived in a hole in the live rock. One day the male just disappeared but the female is still in there and doing fine. Watch it closely but frankly I never had luck trying to medicate a firefish.

firefishguy45

Yeah, this morning I found him dead in my other aquarium. It just seemed so sudden. I guess they are not that hardy afterall. I was considering buying Helfich's Firefish...but now I'm not sure if I want to spend the money. Thanks for your help.

krazzydart

I have a group of fire fish in my tank ,,,, started with 5 a year ago down to 3 I got 2 more ,,,,, but the others ignore them.... oh well..... :cool:

brinkdrum

Sorry to hear about your firefish. I currently have a purple fire fish in my 55gal soon to be reef. He's doing great so far and eats like a pig. I used to have regular firefish in my tank that was doing fantastic until my hawk ate him, or so i think...oops...he's out now. I have noticed that these fish are almost disease resistant. I have never seen one with ich.
Good Luck if you plan to get another. ;)