HELP!!!! Girlfriends gift

dr.vinyl

:help: While away my girlfriend purchased a 55g tank stand and decor, set it up and filled before i ever knew about it

I have been interested in a tank for some time now but wanted to do more research first. I currently know VERY little. I was leaning towards a FO tank, but found interest in LR. Here is what I know she has done thus far
55g tank with stand (lights and filter came in combo)
lights are perfecto (2) 24"
Filter Aqua-Tech Power Filter model 30-60 w/BIO-Fiber
Standard Thermometer
She also purchased some type of aparatus to fill the tank from sink or faucet, 2 bags of crushed coral (recommended by LFS) that she said she strained and rinsed completely before adding, some agua-safe tank conditioner (she said it makes tap water safe for tanks) and a "big bag of sea salt" also rec by LFS
and to top it off $145 worth of decor from petsmart cleaned and installed, 1 of the "decor" pieces has a bubble tip that she hooked up to a pump
"WELCOME HOME HONEY" taped across the front of the tank

Ok here is my delima, can I make this work for a FO tank for now, and try to accumilate the pieces I would like after i do some REASEARCH
Thank You in advance
ANY INFO APPRECIATED :help:

some1fishy

You can make this work, but there are still pieces of equipment needed. possibly a powerhead or two to move water. A small piece of Live rock for bio filtration (if you like) A heater (at least 150watts), If not installed and clean, get rid of the Crushed coral and use Aragonite reef sand (personal preference). A GOOD TEST kit and a GOOD BOOK to read. I like the New Marine Aquarium by M. Paletta. Very informative paperback.
I am sure there are more but these jumped right out at me. The first thing I would do is read, read and read. If you have to jump right in, DO NOT GET FISH until the water parameters have been established (also called the cycle). Use a dead shrimp. Must wiser. You may want to change your bulbs to a saltwater spectrum, but with a fish only tank you shoud be okay for now.
Take your time and research your options and good luck and happy fishing!
SF

hagfish

As mentioned, what you've got will work, but you'll want to add to it. Definitely get a heater and test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH at least. Also, definitely get probably 2 powerheads. I'd shoot for 10 times turnover of water per hour (550 GPH or gallons per hour) total. More would be better. Sand is typically preferred over crushed coral since crushed coral requires greater maintenance and can cause high nitrates. But it can still be used if you like.
I'm concerned about the water you are filling the tank with. It sounds like she bought some kind of filter for the tap water perhaps, and some tap water conditioner (probably to remove chlorine mostly). You'll want to find out exactly what kind of filter she bought and what it does. You really want an reverse osmosis filter. I would do some searches on that, if it isn't an RO/DI unit, it's just about useless.
Most important at this point is that you need to learn about the ammonia cycle, and how to cycle a tank. Just do some searches on this site. It will take a good month to cycle so you'll have plenty of time to get things the way you want them.
I would get at least some live rock. Live rock has biological filtration that is better than any mechanical filtration available really. Most opt for about 50 lbs of live rock (in a 55 gallon tank) and skip the fake decorations, but they can be used if you like them (or can't explain it to the gf).
If you are doing FO or FOWLR, I'd keep the lights as they are for now unless you just hate the way they look.

hagfish

Also, you'll need something to measure salinity. You may be tempted to buy a hydrometer, but I recommend against it in favor of a refractometer. You can find one for around $40 online or on the auction site. They are much more accurate and reliable than hydrometers.
Also, with the test kits, I highly recommend Salifert brand kits. They are more expensive, but worth it since they give accurate results.
As with the refractometer and test kits, these kinds of things pay for themselves in this hobby. There are cheaper solutions for pretty much everything, and some of them work fine, but with test equipment you definitely want to make sure you have things that have a reputation for working. If you save money and get something like a hydrometer (I did originally), you may lose livestock (I did) which itself cost more than the refractometer would have cost. Better to get the good item and keep all livestock alive.
Down the line you might want to look into a protein skimmer. They are very beneficial for filtration and will make your aquarium hobby easier in the long run.

dr.vinyl

Thanks for the advice so far, I have spent the afternoon browsing all over the site, WOW am I feeling overwhelmed, as far as testing the water I have to buy a kit, there is none. I think I barely understand the cycle, the tank is 2 days old now should I get some LR now or dead shrimp? The LFS is adament about there filters called Bio-Wheels, atfirst it seemed genuine then became questionable. All she keeps talking about is how "Pretty" it looks, not exactly where I wanted to go with a tank!!!!! Can i slowly (weekly) phase out the plastic paradise and transfer into LR, (Providing she dosent kill me first) A heater did come with the tank and just plugged in seems to keep the tank around 74 degrees at 1/2 power. Hope everyone has patience in here, this isnt even the tip of the ice-berg as far as questions
Hope someone can decifer my rambeling, Got a million things in my head reght now
Thanks to All :cheer:

saltfan

For a 55 gallon, Emperor400 should do ya the trick. Raw, shrimp to start your cycle yes. Live Rock, even better, if you can get away with it :). You can put the LR in and put the frillies around it or in it if you wish. If your only going to a bio filter, I would suggest a skimmer to help the filtration.

sarwiz100

Try to get her to spend some time on this site too, as well as other ones. Most Important, don't get any fish yet.

rrundle77

Best advice I got on this board was not to be duped by lfs into buying any type of cycle accelerator. i also would say live sand
good luck

molamola

What a gift! Your girlfriend sounds like a keeper to me

Check out the Fish Photography forum with your girlfriend for a while to get some ideas of the "possibilities" you have with a 55 gallon tank. You may find that you both begin to have a different vision of what you want your tank to be. Definately do a search for local reef clubs in your area as that's a great way to get ahold of filtration and lighting and get some inexpensive liverock.
If you decide on a reeftank, you might consider beefing up your filtration and lighting. There are a lot of do-it-yourself projects out there to build your own filtration and it's quite inexpensive. Everyone's got a different approach and that's what makes things interesting. Just make the tank your own. Remember to be patient and I'm sure it will be fantastic

Hi Dr V, Welcome to the boards,
I've heard a lot of negative things about crushed coral. Might be a good time to change this out?

hagfish

It's probably going to be a good idea to take everything your LFS says with a grain of salt. 99% of the time, this is a better place to get your info. Arm yourself with info here, then go to the LFS knowing what you need. You see, the LFS is out to make money from you, we aren't. That can cause a conflict of interest for the customer in many cases (though not all). Also, just because the person works at a LFS doesn't mean they know what they are doing. A lot of those people don't have a clue, but they'll give advice anyway. You mentioned petsmart already, I DEFINITELY wouldn't listen to them for tank advice. I've never even seen a petsmart that had saltwater fish.
As for the bio-wheel, I would not get one. Most will tell you that they are nitrate traps. You can get a power filter of some sort so you can run carbon and get a little extra flow at the same time and if it comes with a bio-wheel, take it out.
You can phase out the plastics as fast as you want, they serve little functional purpose. Although if you were to cycle with them they would become "alive" to some extent.
Try not to feel overwhelmed. The most important thing in this hobby is patience. Nothing in this hobby happens quickly. You might as well start your cycle with either uncured live rock or dead shrimp. You could get uncured live rock from a site like this one to start your cycle.
It sound like you are a little confused about the cycle. Do you have any particular questions about it?

dr.vinyl

Thanks hag, I greatly appreciate your knowledge, as far as the cycle goes yes I am still very confused I have yet to get a test kit and other tools, so is it a good idea to start the cycle w/o any test kit or chemicals ( what chems should I buy ) Plan on a shopping trip this w/e should I get some LR first and throw it in? Cured or UN? like I know the dif yet, have a list of pics to show the GF about phasing out the decor and going with LR, Will I be kicking myself later if I stay with the CC,
Thanks again
much appreciated
Steve :notsure:

hagfish

Originally Posted by Dr.Vinyl
Thanks hag, I greatly appreciate your knowledge, as far as the cycle goes yes I am still very confused I have yet to get a test kit and other tools, so is it a good idea to start the cycle w/o any test kit or chemicals ( what chems should I buy ) Plan on a shopping trip this w/e should I get some LR first and throw it in? Cured or UN? like I know the dif yet, have a list of pics to show the GF about phasing out the decor and going with LR, Will I be kicking myself later if I stay with the CC,
Thanks again
much appreciated
Steve :notsure:
I believe you will be kicking yourself if you don't remove the CC. But if you are willing to vacuum it dilligently, it can work.
I don't know what chemicals you have read about buying, but I personally wouldn't buy any chemicals at all. I have never added anything to my tanks other than chlorine remover before I realized tap water is a bad idea. Your salt mix has all the elements you need.
You don't really have to have a test kit right away for your cycle. But since this is your first time, it may be best to get one and test frequently at first just so you can get a better understanding of how the cycle works and a realization of how long it takes (many refuse to believe that it will most likely take a month, if not more). I recommend ordering salifert kits from this site, or some other (a google search might give cheaper options).
You might as well add your live rock right away (or whenever you are ready to begin cycling). Cured live rock is rock that is full of life and has no significant die-off due to transport or other reasons. Uncured is still live rock, but it has had some die-off due to shipping perhaps. If you buy online it will be uncured by the time it gets to your house whether it was cured originally or not. The die-off kicks the cycle off. This is because the decaying matter turns into ammonia, the first step of the cycle. After a while you will have beneficial bacteria form that will consume the ammonia and they produce nitrites, which like ammonia are toxic. More beneficial bacteria come along to consume the nitrites and they output nitrates. The nitrates basically have to be removed physically in various forms including water changes, protein skimming, and consumption by macro algae. When you are done with your cycle you will have noticed ammonia and nitrite levels rise above zero and then come back down. Nitrates will also rise above zero, but will not come down. Once amm, and nitrites are at zero for a week or two (after the spike) do a large water change to get the nitrates to a reasonable level. Then the game has begun. :joy:

mopar9012

im not an expert but for the cycle it takes weeks and possibly then some, add the rock now becuase if you dont then your tank will go through another cycle and LR helps. you will want a test kit but i wouldnt go crazy testing your water everyday i think thats pointless becuase your tank is cycling. get rid of the crushed coral. people on here have it but they say they clean it everyday just to keep the water levels down. you can keep it but yes you will be kicking yourself for it. JMO

hagfish

As mopar pointed out, it is best to add the majority of LR now because there is risk of a mini-cycle if you add a large quantity later. You can add some cured LR now and then after the cycle. You'll want to be positive it is fully cured though.

dr.vinyl

Originally Posted by hagfish
Then the game has begun. :joy:

Just begun are you kidding me
I think I will remove the CC and add LR this weekend
when should the clean up crew be added, is the package sold on this site sufficent or overkill
would like as many fish as possible and still be a healthy enviroment (in time of course) seee I have learned something (patience)
keep the info coming
many thanks again
anyone want to come to OKC and play with a tank
ill even let you pay LOL JC

hagfish

Originally Posted by Dr.Vinyl
Just begun are you kidding me
I think I will remove the CC and add LR this weekend
when should the clean up crew be added, is the package sold on this site sufficent or overkill
would like as many fish as possible and still be a healthy enviroment (in time of course) seee I have learned something (patience)
keep the info coming
many thanks again
anyone want to come to OKC and play with a tank
ill even let you pay LOL JC
Don't buy any livestock until your cycle is complete, otherwise they will likely just be expensive additions to the ammonia cycle. When you do buy, I would avoid getting cleanup crew packages because they usually do have overkill or a few critters you don't really want. I think it's better to research the exact critters you want and buy the exact number you want. If you do get a package you can usually get away with packages that are for tanks like half the size of yours, so maybe a 20-30 gallon package would do for yours.
When you add fish, do so one at a time and start it off with the most peaceful and hardy fish you can first. If it's not hardy, it will be difficult since you are new and the tank is still going to be a little unstable. If it's not peaceful (assuming you want a peaceful tank, some don't, but it's relative anyway) then the next addition may get attacked to the point of death by the bully. A general guideline for quantity of fish to keep in a SW tank is 1" of fish per 4 gallons of water. And for the inches of fish, don't go by current size. Find out the full grown length and go by that. Some fish grow really fast. That rule is bendable and varies based on each fish depending on overall body shape, if they are messy eaters, what they eat, etc.

tscuda

While the tank is in its cycle. Look thru the fish pics on this site and go to many fish stores to see what fish interest you. But before you buy ask us about them. Many of them wont go together or will get to big for a 55 gallon tank. ie: I had to stop my girl friend from buying a Dog Face Puffer for my tank. It would've ate all my fish except for my Fox Face.

zipityzoom

i know thaT Many people use the RO water, but I use tap and i know severl people that do and we have not had any problems. I would see if tap works for you before i bought and RO/DI filter. They are expensive and you might mot need one. Some tap water is pooreer quality. Most fish cannot tolerate mineral build up. If your water has iron, sulfur, or rust you will prob need to get an RO filter.