Help got a bully

bnutz24

Why did no one tell me that Damsels although good hardy fish are devils in disguise
I now have out of 4 damsels and 2 false percula 1 bully damsel and the hard part is he only picks on my cleaning crew and is very appealing to the eye. so do I give him time as he used to pick on all the fish until he I guess got to know them or get rid of the bully? if he kills anything he is part of the fried smelt platter hate to do it but I buy fish I want not fish I want to see eaten on dead.
Current stocking 130g starter
50lb LR(I know more coming as money permits)
CC bed
2 yellow tail blue damsels
1 blue chromis
1 yellow stripe damsel
10 astrea snails (more coming)
12 med blue leg hermits (more coming)
8 peppermint shrimp (not sure about more suggestions?)

cvetnich

Well you must not have asked because if you would have I am sure millions of people would have told you damsels are devils. Good luck catching them I had one and I had to take everything out of my tank to catch him!

dawman

Maybe if you asked about Damsels you would have the answer . Know you know , the hard way though .

eugenez_21

Damsels are mean but mine is amazing he IS DAED SCARED when something moves in front of my tank and spendes most of the day hidding in the rock work only comes of to eat or when theres now body in the room.

lexluethar

I ran into the same thing, they are evil and a absolute nightmare to catch. I had three damsels in my tank, one was a bully and the other's seemed fine. Took about an hours worth of work and tearing apart my aquarium, but i finally caught the

[hr]
. Now the other two are fine, they don't fight or anything. I think it is more of a personallity thing, some are just born mean and aggressive, others more passive. I now just have the two damelse and they are just fine.
Good luck!

pontius

I take it that the "nobody told me damsels are mean" is just a joke. because if you've ever read a book, magazine, or website, you know that they are mean.
but I've never seen them pick on cleaning crews before, only other fish. if it's that out of control, take him to the lfs, because his behavior will probably not improve.

larryndana

Originally Posted by Pontius
I take it that the "nobody told me damsels are mean" is just a joke. because if you've ever read a book, magazine, or website, you know that they are mean.
but I've never seen them pick on cleaning crews before, only other fish. if it's that out of control, take him to the lfs, because his behavior will probably not improve.
i agree. take him back before it gets worse.

veni vidi vici

i have 4 yellow tails in my tank too
and im not gonna take everything out of my tank to catch the little SOBs so i came up with a plan. Im building a micro fishing pole.

bnutz24

Originally Posted by Pontius

yes I was joking but now I know and I am going to take him back to the LFS and if the other ones get that way they are gone too but they look sooo nice the blue just pops then again the kid in the omen looked nice too

larryndana

Originally Posted by Bnutz24
yes I was joking but now I know and I am going to take him back to the LFS and if the other ones get that way they are gone too but they look sooo nice the blue just pops then again the kid in the omen looked nice too
i'm glad you know, and knowing is half the battle,
. ah, an old joke....

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Bnutz24

Yes, think of Damian when you see blue tailed, domino, blue devils, 3 striped, and I am sure a whole lot of others that I am forgetting. Most damsels, besides chromis and clowns, are very territorial.

bnutz24

Originally Posted by larryndana
i'm glad you know, and knowing is half the battle,
. ah, an old joke....
YOOOO JOE !!!! oh sorry
Flashback

thanks for the advice guys

rbaldino

When you say he's picking on your cleaning crew, what is he actually doing? Just bugging them or seriously trying to eat them? Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it if it's the former. He'll probably stop after a while, and honestly it's hard to have a tank where absolutely everything leaves absolutely everything else alone. Some of it you just have to tolerate, up to a point. I used to have a psuedochromis that would snatch hermit crabs up in his mouth and dump them somewhere else in the tank, and the green reef chromis I currently have is the boss of the tank, which includes a yellowtail damsel.

bnutz24

he charges them and looks like he is trying to nip them. but he is slowly leaving them alone
so I hope it was just a welcome to the new comers to the tank

G

garychef1

get rid of the damsel. There have been about 100 posts on how horrible they can be and how to try and get them out. I had a couple to cycle my tank but it was the worst decision i ever made. i would say try a fish trap but you might also catch one of your good fish.