help got please need to evict some tenents

bnutz24

ok I got some live rock and it brought along some hydroids was not a prob looked kinda cool until they starter crowding my zoos I need a way to control them is there an invert or fish that eats these as I am liking the whole circle of life /nature thing I have going got rid of some aipstsa(sp?) with a few peppermint shrimp hoping I can do the same with this. any suggestions?

jerthunter

There is a nudibranch that eats them however they are extremely difficult to find, I cannot remember the name but if you search for hydroid eatting nudibranch you will probably find it. I also heard that a pygmy angel MIGHT eat them, however they might pick at corals as well.
Also many hydroids will die off if you starve them. Cut down on feeding your tank for awhile and see if they die off.

J

jamparty

Originally Posted by Bnutz24
ok I got some live rock and it brought along some hydroids was not a prob looked kinda cool until they starter crowding my zoos I need a way to control them is there an invert or fish that eats these as I am liking the whole circle of life /nature thing I have going got rid of some aipstsa(sp?) with a few peppermint shrimp hoping I can do the same with this. any suggestions?
I was under the impression that peppermint shrimp and copperbanded butterflies loved feasting on this. How large is your tank?

bnutz24

Originally Posted by JamParty
I was under the impression that peppermint shrimp and copperbanded butterflies loved feasting on this. How large is your tank?
have 8 peppermints and the tank is 130g planning on tripleing my cleaning crew right now only have
8 peppermints
10 astrea snails
12 blue leg hermits
I didn't want to add to much to tank at one time so buying cleaning crew in stages

J

jamparty

have 8 peppermints and the tank is 130g planning on tripleing my cleaning crew right now only have
8 peppermints
10 astrea snails
12 blue leg hermits
I didn't want to add to much to tank at one time so buying cleaning crew in stages
for a 130 dealing with aipasta i would think you need at least 14 peppermints and 2 copperband butterflies...unless you don't want the butterflies then you need to compensate with more peppermints...
as far as the hermits and snails go, these are mostly algae eaters and won't help you any with aipasta...
but yes, for a 130 g you need a much bigger clean up crew than that..
more snails, more hermits
i would suggest some emerald crabs and sally light foots for pollution prevention and a few coral banded shrimp for bristle worm extermination

bnutz24

thanks for the info I caught the aiptasia(sp?) early and the peppermints have successfully wiped it out. now watching the tanks and I think I need a CBS think I have a small bristleworm looking for a home. because my tank is new and don't have a lot of rockwork or fish (waiting on cycle) things are not spreading far without me seeing them

rbaldino

thanks for the info I caught the aiptasia(sp?) early and the peppermints have successfully wiped it out. now watching the tanks and I think I need a CBS think I have a small bristleworm looking for a home.
I wouldn't worry about a bristleworm. They're relatively harmless scavengers.