HELP!! Ground probe issues!

clarkiiclo

Ok- This morning I was getting ready to make my ground probe.
I got to looking at the plugs.
The plugs on my strip have the 3rd prong but I didnt know that my husband BROKE OFF the 3rd prong on the strip where it plugs into the wall!!
We have a really old house that does not have 3 prong outlets.
No what do I do? Where the tank is located it is not close to a window so I can run it outside.
There are no pipes close by either.
Any suggestions?????

deezum007

u can try a hardware store and buy an adaptor that allows u to plug three prong plugs into two pronged outlets..they run about 2bucks

clarkiiclo

Well techincally yes.
But from what I understand those 3 prong to 2 prong converters dont do anything.
They just sheild the 3 prong and only use the 2 prongs.

clarkiiclo

Originally posted by Deezum007
u can try a hardware store and buy an adaptor that allows u to plug three prong plugs into two pronged outlets..they run about 2bucks

Ok so the adapter DOES connect the 3rd prong to one of the two existing prongs?
I thought I just sheilded it.

viper_930

An adapter wouldn't do anything. The grounding probe needs the third prong, the grounding, to ground the electricity from the tank. Sorry, I do not have a solution for you though.

clarkiiclo

Thats Ok, I appreciate your reply. I think I screwed.
What if I managed to run the wire outside?
I have an antenna that is gounded really well and I could tie into that??

wbilton

those 3 prongs to 2 prongs converters will work if the box the metal box that the outlet is in is grounded, just put the outlet cover screw on the small piece of green metal on the converter.

viper_930

Originally posted by WBilton
those 3 prongs to 2 prongs converters will work if the box the metal box that the outlet is in is grounded, just put the outlet cover screw on the small piece of green metal on the converter.

I don't totally understand what you are saying, but the point is to ground the electricity from the grounding probe. You can't ground it without the grounding 3rd prong on the wall outlet, unless I am missing something.

T

thomas712

Prongs? I didn't use any stinking prongs, no outlets.
Just a titanium bike spoke, wire, shrink wrap, clamped it on the cold water return of the house. My voltage meter says 0.001.
Sounds like your trying to plug the tank in? Please tell me you are also using a GFCI outlet?...please?

clarkiiclo

I would be more than happy to use a water pipe that is grounded. Problem is the tank isnt near one and Im not poking a hole in my wall to find one

indy1

If the adapter has a green ground wire on it and you connect it to the screw on the outlet cover it will ground whatever you plug in provided that your electrical box is metal and grounded as well.

dskidmore

I agree with Indy. One thing to watch for, is paint on that screw. Take the screw out and clean off any paint on the underside before using it for grounding.