Help.....help.......help!!

ttran

Ok Guys, I Really Need Some Help On My Powder Blue Tang. Woke Up This Morning And Saw Him Lying On The Sand And Very Weak. He Was Missing All Yesterday And Found Him Like This In The Morning. I Have 125g W/ About 140 Live Rock & 120 Live Sand. It A Fowlr. Checked The Water And Everythings Is At Zero. My Stock List Is 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Koran Angel, 1 Clown, 1 Maroon Clown, 1 Butterfly, 1 Half And Half Warasse, 1 Little Purple Fish(forgot The Name), Over 80 Hermit Crabs, And 1 Feather Duster. Also Have 50g Sump, turbo twist sterilzer, and protein skimmer.
I Did Notice That He Wasn't Eating As Much As The Other Fishs, But HE Did Eat. Could It Be Starving To Death? P.s. I Do Not Have A Qt.
Please Help I Don't WANT The Little GUY To Die!!?!?!?!??!

girlina4x4

what do you feed it? algea sheets?
what is the tank temp?
what exactly does it look like? normal, but breathing heavy?
any wounds? could something be picking on it?

jtt

80 hermits? man, i love just sitting watchin my 6 hermits hang out and walk around aimlessly. i dont even really care much about the fish sometimes. but man, i would love to sit there and stare at all 80+ hermits chillin in a huge tank. awesome.
as for your powder blue... answer Girlina4x4's questions and that will give us a start to figuring out the problem.

ttran

Originally Posted by Girlina4x4
http:///forum/post/2871837
what do you feed it? algea sheets?
what is the tank temp?
what exactly does it look like? normal, but breathing heavy?
any wounds? could something be picking on it?
i feed them marine flakes every other day and put out two green marine algea sheet between those days. he's lying on his side, breathing kinda heavy and no wounds that i could see. i dont think anyone's picking on him, he's been in there before thanksgiving and he's been swimming with all the fishes. i do have bristle worms tho, could it be them??? i was told that they are good scavengers. water temp is at 78.

spanko

Should pose the question over in the disease section, would probably get some good information there.

cdangel0

"Checked The Water And Everythings Is At Zero. "
What kind of test kits are you using? How old are they? Kind of water (RODI or tap). Most importantly - what's your salinity at?
edit: Oh yeah - what about PH?

ttran

Originally Posted by Cdangel0
http:///forum/post/2871901
"Checked The Water And Everythings Is At Zero. "
What kind of test kits are you using? How old are they? Kind of water (RODI or tap). Most importantly - what's your salinity at?
edit:
Oh yeah - what about PH?
i forgot the brand name of the test kit but i brought them when i first started my tank in march 08. i use ro/di water for top offs and 10% weekly water changes. my SG is at 1.025 and ph is at 8.2-8.4.

cdangel0

Is the 78 water temp in the morning before the lights come on or mid day when lights are on?
I'm wondering if the tank temp is dropping at night causing him stress. Powder Blues are very sensitive fish and stress over the simplist of fluctuations in any parameter.
I would also take a water sample in the your LFS - your test kits are nearing the end of their useful life and may be giving false readings.

ttran

Originally Posted by Cdangel0
http:///forum/post/2871915
Is the 78 water temp in the morning before the lights come on or mid day when lights are on?
I'm wondering if the tank temp is dropping at night causing him stress. Powder Blues are very sensitive fish and stress over the simplist of fluctuations in any parameter.
I would also take a water sample in the your LFS - your test kits are nearing the end of their useful life and may be giving false readings.
the water temp usually at 78 in the morning and fluctuates a degrees or two during the day but is always back at 78 at evenings. but i don't know about during the night.
i'll pick up some new tests kits after work. hope its not too late the save him.

cdangel0

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2871990
6 month old test kits are not at the end of their usefulness
They're 9 months old, not 6. test kits are only good for a year max. So at 9 months deterioration of accuracy is expected. They were purchased when the OP frst gt in to the hobby so they are probably cheaper less reliable test kits ot begin with.
One thought that may / may not help - it is a long shot - open a window in the room with the tank. Indoor O2 levels have a tendency to drop in the winter because the house is buttoned up - there have been instances where this has affected livestock - usually it's a PH swing from increased CO2 but at this point anything woud be worth a try.
Check the test kits against the LFS before you spend the money on new kits.
Check the temp at night when everything is off. I've seen people with timers on their home heaters that drop the temp to as low as 60 during the night to conserve energy, the tank heater can't keep up with the heat loss and temps drop too low and cause stress to the fish.
Just putting out some ideas.