HELP HELP my tank is being overtaken by algae?

rx7racer11

thanks for the input everyone i have cut the lights and will do water changes before i pull the rock completly out

williamrhodes

I Had The Same Problem And Just As Bad. I Bought A 36 Watt Uv Sterlizer And I Have Not Seen Any In 6 Months. It Runs For About 4 Hours A Day.

rx7racer11

well i got frusterated and took 95% of the rock out scrubbed it and am going to keep it out of the tank in darkness for a couple days... tested the water and had 0 nitrites and nitrates..
my RO unit checked out ok... so im going to replace my bulbs tomorrow and keep doing water changes and see if i can get rid of it ....
i just did a water change of 25 gallons so ill see if that helps at all and do it again prob this weekend. what a pain in the ass i really hope i can get it all outta there... and im going to get a bunch of emarld crabs cuz i only have like 15 right now...

kevin34

Originally Posted by rx7racer11
http:///forum/post/2622546
well i got frusterated and took 95% of the rock out scrubbed it and am going to keep it out of the tank in darkness for a couple days... tested the water and had 0 nitrites and nitrates..
my RO unit checked out ok... so im going to replace my bulbs tomorrow and keep doing water changes and see if i can get rid of it ....
i just did a water change of 25 gallons so ill see if that helps at all and do it again prob this weekend. what a pain in the ass i really hope i can get it all outta there... and im going to get a bunch of emarld crabs cuz i only have like 15 right now...
You shouldnt need 15 emerald crabs. Maybe closer to 5. What else do you have for a CUC?

draend

Lettuce Nudi eat hair also, eat it like crazy, i had nowhere near that level, but 1 knocked all min out in about 1 week, I would think that a few may bey it from geiitng more, and then work it down slowly.

rx7racer11

update ..
put all my rock back in plus another 28 lbs of new rock and re configured everything... to my surprise all my fish have survived and appear to be thirving with the new rock setup... they all have new caves now and love it.... new bulbs looks bitchin....
one question though.... i was at my local fish store.. and they asked me what filter i was using and i dont think i have anything besides my skimmer.... i have a smaller accuclear filter that hangs off the back should i have something better? they were trying to sell me a 200 dollar floval.... so any input appreciated... thanks