Help! I can't get nitrates down

inawe

:help: To start, I have a 39g, about 40-45lbs. LR, 40lbs. sand, a Filstar xP1 canister filter, powerhead, Visi jet skimmer, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 strawberry crabs, several little hermits, 4 snails, and a pajama cardinal. I do water changes every 3 weeks with RO saltwater I buy at the LFS. My prams look like this...
SG - 1.023
Ammonia - 0
pH - 8.2
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 20
Water change will bring the nitrates down, but only temporarily, then they go right back up.
Although the canister filter was just added a couple of weeks ago, changed from eclipse biowheel, I was having the same trouble before the change. I feed daily with frozen food. Everybody eats and leaves no crumbs. I've been giving small pieces of the sheet seaweed, which the crabs, hermits, and shrimp really love, about every 3 days. And again, they seemingly eat it all, if that makes any difference.
What am I doing...or not doing? What do I need to do...or not do? I would really like to add 2 - 3 more fish and some coral, but can't until this is resolved.
Help???

inawe

The tank has been up for about 5 months now. The food is Saltwater Multi-Pack. There are 4 different kinds of cubes...marine cuisine, emerald entree, omega-3 brine shrimp, squid. I feed about one-forth of a cube each day.
don't know that this makes much difference, but the little bitty feather dusters come out of the rock to feed, and last night I discovered a couple of hitch hikers...a gorilla crab :scared:, and what I think may be a teeny starfish...all I could see were 3-4 little bitty red/white striped legs sneaking out of a piece of rock. Still trying to catch that ugly crab...kinda like a tarantula!

badoleross

A canister fitler can be just as bad as the bio wheel. I would have gone with a sump! Anything with a filter pad or is designed to trap waste will/can cause a nitrate problem.

trippkid

How much water do you change? Maybe try changing water every wk or 2. I think for what you have in the tank you could probably feed less or try every other day. Also, skimmer my need upgraded or modified somehow, had one before on a small tank and threw it out within a wk.

inawe

I've been changing about one third of the water at a time. I'll try changing every 1-2 weeks and see if it helps, along with feeding every other day. I just don't want anything to starve, and every time I do feed, they all act like they are starving to death...they come running, tripping over each other, falling off the rock (or jumping!)!

trippkid

They will act like that even if you feed them 3 times a day, don't worry they will be fine. I have a 120 w/ a trigger, parrot fish, clown, 3 chromis, yellow tang, hippo tang, hamlet, and they get fed 1 time a day a little bit more than what you feed, also many snails, crabs, cucumbers, corals, you name it. Also, only change about 10to15% if doing every wk and maybe 20 to 30% at the most every 2 wks. If you plan to keep the canister filter you will need to replace or clean the mechanical filtration very frequently.

inawe

I was initially working on a sump/refugium, which I put a lot of time into as far as ordering, waiting, building, etc. Then the day came to hook it all up. I got the overflow box set up, and the water flowing :cheer: ...turned on the return pump and my husband said "Oh, NO! It sounds like a tractor coming through the living room!" Then we heard the slurping sound of the overflow.
I would REALLY like to go back to the sump, so if someone can guide me to an almost SILENT pump, and tell me how to make the slurping stop...??? :help:

pbienkiewi

What kind of overflow box do you have ? GPH size of the drain ? Does it have a pump on top ? How deep of a sandbed do you have ? What are you planning on putting in the sump ? sand with live rock ?
I use to have a sump with the pump on top. I hated them WAY to noisey.
With my 55 and 30gal I never used a canister filter. I have rock and sand in my sumps.

inawe

I believe it is a CPR...the small one with only one U tube and it says a flow rate of 300 gph. The pump is a Rio HyperFlow 14HF. It is a submersible pump that goes in the sump. My sandbed is about 3 inches in my dt, and my intentions were to use sand and lr with plants (?) in the sump. I know from all the reading that the sump is far superior to other filter systems, but I if I can't find a way to cut out most of the noise, I'll have to stay with the canister for now.