Help I Have Ich (please Beth)

nanoreef29

Ich
White spots, they are eating and no labored breathing.
3 days. I lost my male clown 2 day ago I did a 5 gal water change because my ph was at
7.8 and my cal. Was low.
1 clown 1 flame angle and 3 chromes, 23 lb lr 50lb ls 7 mush. 3 sm zoo’s 2 (3) head candy cane’s, 29 gal it has be up for 75 day.
Food mysis & brine shrimp, flake, chromaplex, marine snow just started garlic.
I think my clown fish must have had it. I have had them over a month got my angle 2 w/ago
Angle and chrome’s were been qt for 3 months by my lfs. my clowns I bought from an other lfs they were qt for 1 wk.
At first my male clown was not doing well 2day after my water change that made me look real close and it looked like they had a thin milk slim on them so the lfs said use rally the next day my male died and the rest of the fish had spots everywhere and the slim was gone. So again the lfs said to use kick ich. They have 2 days of rally and 1 dose of kick ich. So last night I went back on this site and started looking.
Water
NH3-0
NO2-0
NO3-0
PH-8.2
SAL-1.251/2
Temp-78.2
I have lost of questions and would like to talk to someone. ASAP

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see adequately treating ich with such meds as rally. Hyposalinity is your best bet, however, you have a tank with live rock with inverts. If you can find a temporary home for your live rock and inverts, then you can do hyposalinity in your main tank. The procedure for hyposalinity is detailed in the FAQ Thread, top of this forum.

coral head

NanoReef,
Just to clear up a few things:

You do not have ich; and neither does your fish.
Saltwater fish do not get ich.
Your fish may have ****** (Cryptocaryon irritans).

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by Coral Head
http:///forum/post/2944208
NanoReef,
Just to clear up a few things:

You do not have ich; and neither does your fish.
Saltwater fish do not get ich.
Your fish may have ****** (Cryptocaryon irritans).

Huh? Ich is not a scientific name, but it is applied to various fish parasite ailments, but mostly applied to cryptocaryon irrtians when speaking of the marine hobby. I'm not sure we need a grammar lesson here.

nanoreef29

Thanks Beth,
I have another tank 5 gal but it is not cycled. I just put in 5 gal of old water that i had taken out of my tank the other day with the water change. can i use that and some old filter pads to start up the tank and just do alot of water changes I have read you FAQ. Or should i just take all my rock and invert out and put it in a bucket with lights? What about my live sand? I have so many question is there any way i could talk to you.
sue

shyfish

Hi,
White slim isn't ick (cryptocaryon irrtians ). I had this happen to my fish about three years ago. I had messed around with my rock and didn't realize I had lotion on my hands from using puffs plus to wipe my nose, I had a cold.
If you have been messing around with your tank and have anything on your hands..soap, lotion, even food traces it can cause that kind of white slime.
Always wash your hands and arms past your elbows with clear water for 20 to 30 seconds before putting your hands in the tank. There is a medicine for a fungus. Its made by the instant ocean people I think. Ask your LFS they should have it.
HURRY!
I lost almost all my fish in a single day. QT the sick ones if you can.
The fish got ick because they were stressed. The slime is the fungus.
Hope this helps, hope your fish make it.

nanoreef29

Thanks,
I try to always wash my hands and arms. But if it is what you are talking about would it look like ich after using Rally?

nanoreef29

here are pic of my fish the one with the three of them was taken on 2/1 two days later my male died the small one in the back they all look healthy on monday they had the thin milk slim the next day they look like the next pic. I took this pic 2/5. hope this helps.

coral head

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2944215
Huh? Ich is not a scientific name, but it is applied to various fish parasite ailments, but mostly applied to cryptocaryon irrtians when speaking of the marine hobby. I'm not sure we need a grammar lesson here.
I beg to differ:
"Ichthyophthirius multifiliis is a species of ciliate protozoan which parasitizes freshwater
fish" - Wikpedia
"Cryptocaryon irritans is a species of ciliate protozoa that parasitizes marine
fish" - Wikpedia
A misused term used often doesn't make it correct.

shyfish

Hi,
The spots one your fish don't look like ick. Ick looks like salt on the fish; it might be just a bad picture.
Most Fish have a natural slime on their bodies. When this natural coating is damaged, then you see it coming off. Hence the slime all over appearance. After the immune system is weakened they develop ick and all other kinds of problems.
Good luck, hope this help..sorry to be so long winded
The Medicine I told you about covers a variety of problems. It is reef safe so you don't have to worry about your inverts or corals. It has no copper!! Never use meds with copper in your tank!

Always follow instructions to the letter, do a water change as soon as dosing is over. I prefer natural cures but sometimes it just isn't possible.
Reg. ick won't kill your fish overnight. It has to be neglected for a long time to do that kind of damage, and I doubt that’s the case with you.
I really think something contaminated your tank. Weakened your fish’s immunity and caused disease. If the die off has stopped it may have run its course, most fish die in 24 to 48 hours.
Hind sight is always 20/20
My Sw Guru as I like to refer to him... He uses sleeveless shirts that have never been washed with detergent when he works on his tanks, because they are too deep and his sleeves always get in the tank. He also won't ware deodorant when he is working on them for the same reason.
If you have long hair (like me) tie it back, the shampoo is deadly. As a rule...Keep hands out of the tank as much as possible!
I use those long plastic pinchers to mess with my tank rather than stick my hands in there. Sometimes you have to, but avoid it as much as you possibly can.
Most new aquarists have their hands in the tank every day, rearranging rock..Cleaning algae... checking and rechecking everything. You think your being diligent, but it poisons the tank.

nanoreef29

Thanks
I know that is not a great pic but that's what it looks like. So they way I am understanding you is to leave it for now? Should i do water changes to get the Rally and the Kick ich out? I will try to get some of those long armed gloves that you can order on the internet. If it doesn't go away what should I do? Thanks again for your help!

nanoreef29

I lost all my fish this week I think it was marine velvet disease. I saw a new post today 2/13/09 of a pic with this disease, it looked just like. Do I need to do anything with my tank before I put new fish in it?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Amyloodinium (marine velvet) looks quite different than Cryptocaryon irritans (white spot or ich), though its frequently mistaken for ich. It has the appearance more of dusting powder, rather than the distinctive dots you see with cryptocaryon.
If you feel certain that your fish had amyloodinium, then I'd advise leaving your tank fallow of fish for two months. In the meantime, start working out a way that you can set up a quarantine tank, so you will never have to experience this again.