Help! Ich In Reef Tank-how Long?

kat 4

Hi - I lost 3 fish to ICH today - brought in from LFS

I've been treating my reef with garlic and have had success until this. It was just too late. How long until I can add another fish? I have my lemon peel angel left and she loves her cleaner shrimp so I think she will be ok. The rest are inverts, corals, lr,ls, anemones, etc. I want to add a marine beta but not sure when it will be safe. Any help? I will keep treating with garlic. It's worked for me in the past so I am hoping it will this time too....HOW long until I can add a fish? THANKS

sagowitz

You will have to take your angel out and QT it. Leave your tank fishless for six weeks, then add fish. Do you know how you got ich in the first place? Do you QT your fish prior to putting them in your tank?

kat 4

Actually the LFS had lost all their fish to disease one day. (I don't know what - they just explained that to me as all their tanks were empty, except the reef tank. ) I purchased a coral leather mushroom that day...could it have been carried in by the mushroom since all the tanks water is in all the LFS tanks? I did get a clownfish a couple days later when they got a new shipment and it was not quarantined....so, no and no. Can I leave the angel in the tank and just treat with garlic? I have done that before and it worked great...(about 4 months ago) Or...could the ick have still been in the tank 4 months later?

sagowitz

I would not leave the angel in the tank. If you can treat ich with garlic alone, I would say that you are very lucky. You should really QT your angel and do hypo, and leave your tank fishless for six weeks. That's really the only legit way to treat ich.

O

oreo12

Once again garlic will not cure ick. Through it away it is usless. Buy some kick ich follow the directions on the bottel do not stop the treatment untill the 2 weeks are up you will be ick free it is reef safe good luck sorry for your loss.

trigges4me

I also have a horrible ick outbreak-lost 7 of 8 fish and I don't have a QT.When you say leave your main tank empty for 6 weeks,just keep it running and do regular water changes and then we can add new fish slowly after QT'ing them.
I have an 80gl FO bowfront using a tidepool 3 sump powered by a MAG-drive 9.5
Do I still need 1 powerhead for better water movement?My fish were happy for over a year until Mr.Ick showed up.

O

oreo12

Originally Posted by Sagowitz
Do not use kick ich.
Why not I have used it twice and have had great succse no fish or any loss of any kind. Works great don't understand your post no reason for your opion stated. O well I quess your fish will just keep crocking. While my swim around happly

sagowitz

Awful grammar. Anyway, there is only one way to treat ich with great success, and it doesn't come in a bottle. I personally wouldn't want to trust someone who can't spell and has had ich TWICE.

bsp

Has anyone tried a fresh water dip for ich? Then you QT the fish for 3 weeks with meds.

kat 4

If I could catch the fish - a freshwater dip would be the way to go! I actually looked on some old posts and found that chem-marin has a product called stop parasite and I got some. It's reef safe....my one lonely lemon peel angel that is left will hopefully be saved by this stuff! She seems fine but with the way the other fish looked she must have ich somewhere!

O

oreo12

Make fun of my spelling and gramer all you want you dumb f ! Kick ich works.

O

oreo12

O by the way i used it once to save a niger triger that i bought with ich from death co. I had to save it little life and it is still swiming today.

mr_bill

I have personally had ICH twice in my own tank and both times I didn't lose a fish or do any treatments.
In My OPINION:
There is ICH present in about 90% of the SW tanks out there but a health happy fish will fight it off before infestations every time. If you think about it, ICH is present in the ocean but you don't see fish dieing from it. God doesn't perform hypo or dump in some copper from time to time. The trick is to find out what is stressing the fish and then fix that problem. Introducing garlic to food increases a fishes appetite and an actively feeding fish has a great chance at fighting off the parasite.
In your case the fish were new, they were stressed and probably stopped feeding. Not feeding leads to weakness which leads to a slower metabolic rate and a big drop in the fishes immune system which is their number one weapon against ICH. Adding three fish at once is a bad idea, and should be avoided in the future. Your best bet is to add one fish at a time and try to do this just after you are turning the lights out on the tank. Also please follow the acclimation tip just to the left in the menu selection window. A properly acclimated fish introduced after your lights have just been shut off has a great chance of being happy and feeding quickly.

sagowitz

Originally Posted by oreo12
Make fun of my spelling and gramer all you want you dumb f ! Kick ich works.
wow

mr_bill

Originally Posted by Sagowitz
wow
Ya, I was ignoring that and trying to stay on thread topic. :thinking:

O

oreo12

Fresh water dips are stressfull on the fish and will not work as well. You can take advise from who ever you like but I have 25 years ex. I dout that other bozo has been alive that long. Just joined probably tring to find out how to fill his tank with water has the water in a jug but can't figure out how to get it into the tank. Kick ich works there are sevreal people on here that agree. It is reef and invert safe as well wish you all the luck.

sagowitz

So you've used it before and no fish have died? hmmm....
05-07-2005, 03:48 AM
oreo12
Big fish guy Join Date: Mar 2005
have you tried kick ich

[hr]
"Have you ever tried kick ich and did it work for you? My puffer died why I was treating with it. It was the fish that brought the ich into the tank atleast it was the one that first showed signs of it. My other fish got it looked real bad. Last nite was the last treatment I am supose to do in the 14 day cycle it looks like it has cleaned out the ich the fish look great today. Do you think it would hurt to treat every 3rd day untill I use it up? I don't want this ich to come back In the starting stage it went away came back went away hit the puffer real hard after the first treatment the ich nailed the rest of the fish My 13inch convict bleny seems to be having eye trouble but seemed to be seeing beter tonihgt. I dont have any where to set up a quartine tank and treat any other way. How long should I wait befor replacing the puffer 2 weeks or longer?"
Are you sure you're 42? 25+ years experience? You're pretty funny.
Here's the original link-
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=163724